pull pistons without removing engine??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 113367
pull pistons without removing engine???

On some trucks you can remove oil pan and pull the pistons to change the rings, without pulling the motor. can you do this on a lifted 1983 4x4?? nebody tried or done it?
1983yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 18614
I dont think so... Pretty sure the crankshaft is in the way. If your going to replace the rings why wouldnt you just replace the gaskets and bearings right away

Tuesday is trying to sneak in early.

[B][URL="www.rightcoast4x4.com"]www.rightcoast4x4.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="http://www.dazednconfuzed.net/wp/"]www.dazednconfuzed.net[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.atozfabrication.com/"]www.atozfabrication.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.alltechmotorsports.com"]www.alltechmotorsports.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.davesoffroadsupply.com"]www.davesoffroadsupply.com[/URL][/B]

[QUOTE=FLEXYSAMMY;13977957]Yes you are correct Eric.[/QUOTE]
94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94toytruck View Post
I dont think so... Pretty sure the crankshaft is in the way. If your going to replace the rings why wouldnt you just replace the gaskets and bearings right away

Tuesday is trying to sneak in early.
Grab a book and do a lil reading...

Yes you can. But by the time you get the motor that far--your better off pulling the motor. The time spent working around the vehicle--your better off spending a lil time to yank it and throw it onto an engine stand..

crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Huh so I learned something new I didnt know you could just swap rings on 22re's. Still sounds like a PITA.

[B][URL="www.rightcoast4x4.com"]www.rightcoast4x4.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="http://www.dazednconfuzed.net/wp/"]www.dazednconfuzed.net[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.atozfabrication.com/"]www.atozfabrication.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.alltechmotorsports.com"]www.alltechmotorsports.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.davesoffroadsupply.com"]www.davesoffroadsupply.com[/URL][/B]

[QUOTE=FLEXYSAMMY;13977957]Yes you are correct Eric.[/QUOTE]
94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94toytruck View Post
Huh so I learned something new I didnt know you could just swap rings on 22re's. Still sounds like a PITA.
It is..............

crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20739
Send a message via AIM to EarlKann
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983yota View Post
On some trucks you can remove oil pan and pull the pistons to change the rings, without pulling the motor. can you do this on a lifted 1983 4x4?? nebody tried or done it?
Sure!

1. Remove oil pan

2. Start engine

3. Pistons "pull" themselves. Sometimes one gets stuck and it's hard to get the rest out though.

Shameless Plug: I am a Realtor in SoCal, Inland Empire. My wife is a mortgage loan officer. PM me for info.
EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 89000
It can be done. I did it about 17years ago on my 82 lifted truck. Everything worked great until something let loose about 2 weeks later, because I was trying to save time. So I saved all kinds of time sitting at home not wheelin because my motor became a convertible. The main reason I did it was because of the smog on the motor. I did not think I could get it back together right. In the end I had to switch motors and I still screwed up the smog on the carb. Do it right or do it twice, the choice is yours.
mtrent3450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 01:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 104951
i did it on an 87 unlifted ifs 2 years ago and its still running just fine. i did an entire inframe rebuild. dont think it saved me any time or was any easier but it can be done. just sucks sitting on fenders all day
87sparky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 56696
I wanna know how the hell you get a ring compressor in from the bottom to reinstall? Sounds like a good way to waste a lot of time. Just pull the motor and do the job right. I see people wasting 3 hours trying to save 5 minutes.......
Old 05-06-2008, 07:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 112738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrent3450 View Post
It can be done. I did it about 17years ago on my 82 lifted truck. Everything worked great until something let loose about 2 weeks later, because I was trying to save time. So I saved all kinds of time sitting at home not wheelin because my motor became a convertible. The main reason I did it was because of the smog on the motor. I did not think I could get it back together right. In the end I had to switch motors and I still screwed up the smog on the carb. Do it right or do it twice, the choice is yours.
I call BS. No way you can do it with the head on.

I think the OP was talking about leaving the block in engine compartment, which you can accomplish, but you would still have to pull the head to R&R pistons. It is a pain in the ass, and not the way most guys would do it, but it is possible and may be necessary depending on your situation.

But to do it like you said is impossible, or at the very least impractical to the degree of being retarded. Even if you could figure out how to get the compressed rings and pistons installed from the bottom, there is no way they are gonna clear the crank.

Last edited by zlathim; 05-06-2008 at 07:48 AM.
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 89000
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
I call BS. No way you can do it with the head on.

I think the OP was talking about leaving the block in engine compartment, which you can accomplish, but you would still have to pull the head to R&R pistons. It is a pain in the ass, and not the way most guys would do it, but it is possible and may be necessary depending on your situation.

But to do it like you said is impossible, or at the very least impractical to the degree of being retarded. Even if you could figure out how to get the compressed rings and pistons installed from the bottom, there is no way they are gonna clear the crank.
Crank came out to put the pistons in. Used a ring compressor the same way just from the bottom. I believe a connecting rod came loose and put holes in both sides of the block. We never took it apart to see exactly what happened. I did not know very much about engines at the time, I was a stupid 18 year old kid. I agree with your comment about impractical to the degree of being retarded, but it is not BS. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 93619
Hell they even have portable cylinder honing machines. Only works on 4 cyls, they take the head off, take the pan off, and do a half ass rebuild. Doesn't make sense to me, they replace everything except the main bearings.
SoCalWheeler71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 94542
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrent3450 View Post
Crank came out to put the pistons in. Used a ring compressor the same way just from the bottom. I believe a connecting rod came loose and put holes in both sides of the block. We never took it apart to see exactly what happened. I did not know very much about engines at the time, I was a stupid 18 year old kid. I agree with your comment about impractical to the degree of being retarded, but it is not BS. Just my 2 cents.
i will gladly go take pics to show you that the pistons get hung up on the crank journals if you try to pull them through the bottom on a 22r. now a 20r might be different? not sure but i know for a fact on all the 22rs ive seen (even stock bore) will not clear the main bearing journals. so i would call bs x2

[url]www.blueyfab.com[/url]
subliminaltrips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 89000
So I called my buddy who helped me do this many years ago and he verified that I am a dumbsh*t. I guess we did pull the head and the pistons came out the top. We left the carb on the manifold. I somehow remember it the other way. We also never removed the crank. So with only a dozen or so posts on Pirate I am officially a dumbsh*t. I would hang my head low and never come back but I just bought a 87 4runner that is a donor for my future FToy build. So here I will stay and get ready for the flaming that I deserve!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983yota View Post
- drain oil and drop pan
- pull head (the hardest part, of course)
- remove rod caps(?) and bearings
- from below, push pistons out with wooden dowel or broom handle

I did a 'partial' rebuild (rings, valves, chain, guides only) on my 22R about 10 years ago, and its been running great ever since.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 113367
right on thanks for the answers!!
1983yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 94542
if you were to disassemble the engine that way im pretty sure you can lift the bottom end out by yourself with no hoist if you remove the tranny first which you have to do anyways. i watched a buddy of mine pull one (block minus head , tranny and flywheel) and lift it up onto the core support by himself where i held it for him untill he could get out and then we lifted it onto the ground.... gotta love u pull yards!

im pretty sure getting it back in would be a little trickier but im sure you could do it, those blocks dont weight shit

Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 109262
I rebuilt a chevy van in-frame a long time ago and it was a pain in the ass. And I didn't do it right. And I was an 18yr old dumb$hit. I did roll the mains into it from beneath, though. And I did it for rent money. So hah! I have 5 posts now........
palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85972
so where are all the fuck faces who gave me shit for telling someone a while back that this could be done? someone asked, i replied, and instead of giving him shit they called me a retard. when i pull my pistons out the motor will be on a stand. so come on bitches, tell us how the crankshaft will be in the way again...

Authorized Ruffstuff dealer- pm me for pirate discount and free shipping on orders over $100.

ADS Racing Shocks- I can save you money on those too!

Website http://hellfire-fabworks.com/
billybob13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 93619
retards are right every once in a while

Last edited by SoCalWheeler71; 05-06-2008 at 07:08 PM.
SoCalWheeler71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20739
Send a message via AIM to EarlKann
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob13 View Post
so where are all the fuck faces who gave me shit for telling someone a while back that this could be done? someone asked, i replied, and instead of giving him shit they called me a retard. when i pull my pistons out the motor will be on a stand. so come on bitches, tell us how the crankshaft will be in the way again...
I "think" that even with the crank removed the pistons still won't come out the bottom. The main bearing journals are still in the way as this guy said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminaltrips View Post
i will gladly go take pics to show you that the pistons get hung up on the crank journals if you try to pull them through the bottom on a 22r. now a 20r might be different? not sure but i know for a fact on all the 22rs ive seen (even stock bore) will not clear the main bearing journals. so i would call bs x2
Attached Images

Shameless Plug: I am a Realtor in SoCal, Inland Empire. My wife is a mortgage loan officer. PM me for info.
EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 94542

well you could always clearence the block with an angle grinder and a masonary cut off wheel.....

Last edited by subliminaltrips; 05-06-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85972
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlKann View Post
I "think" that even with the crank removed the pistons still won't come out the bottom. The main bearing journals are still in the way as this guy said.
si. but i never said pull the pistons from the bottom. i just said they can be r+r'd without pulling the motor. i never even said pull the crank. just the head and rod caps and out comes the pistons. so yes, it can be done.

Authorized Ruffstuff dealer- pm me for pirate discount and free shipping on orders over $100.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85972
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminaltrips View Post

well you could always clearence the block with an angle grinder and a masonary cut off wheel.....
that would take too long. just torch the journals out and j-b weld them back in after piston replacement.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 112738
Quote:
so come on bitches, tell us how the crankshaft will be in the way again...
Quote:
si. but i never said pull the pistons from the bottom. i just said they can be r+r'd without pulling the motor. i never even said pull the crank. just the head and rod caps and out comes the pistons. so yes, it can be done.
I think half the guys on this post are talking about pistons out through the bottom(which we all know won't work), and the other half is talking about pulling the head.

After reading your posts, I'm still not sure which camp you are in
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.