F150 spring swap - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #76 (permalink)
DWT

Member # 19850
Quote:
Originally Posted by wentz912 View Post
So after reading the whole thread, I didn't see my question answered.

I'm currently running the 63" Chevy leaf springs, the three leaf plus overload packs, with the front hanger moved 10.75" forward of stock to get an extra inch of wheel base and running a double shackle set up with the chev shackle going from the factory shackle hanger to a new shackle which goes to the end of the chevy spring.

From the looks of it, I could shove some F-250 (3" wide like Chevy) under it with the long side forward, and be able to use the spring hangers that I have now AND go back to using my factory shackle hanger?

I would just go buy some springs and try it, but the truck is my only transportation and I don't have the cash to go throw at new springs just to try it.

Yes. The length from center to rear on a F150, ranger etc are close enough to the same length as to be interchangeable with chevies.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 122250
Here's some info on f150 rears....

http://www.generalspringkc.com/index...parent=78&pg=1
Old 10-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #78 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2203
Send a message via Yahoo to 1SAWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925driver View Post
1SAWB, is your wheelbase the same as stock? And I'm guessing you still using the rear hangers stock location?

sorry missed this

my junk is a standard cab frame with an extra cab, cab the front axle is moved forward around an inch to inch and a half. the rear perch was moved forward 9 inches and the shackle mount is in the stock location with 6 inch shackles. it moved my rear axle back right at 4 inches when i did this which was fine with me. here is a pic from johnson valley at K.O.H. 2010.

FOUND A LINK ON A LOCAL SITE THAT I DID A QUICK WRITE UP ON
http://therockgods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9121
Attached Images

Last edited by 1SAWB; 10-11-2010 at 10:05 AM.
1SAWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 69243
I just swapped a set of 4leaf+overload F150 springs into my 1st gen yota. Similar to 1SAWB, my front hanger got moved forward ~9" and shackle hanger is in stock location, although I cut off the stocker and replaced with some beef.

Gave me a few inches of lift and is soft as hell. flexes real nice too.

Figured I'd throw this out there since there are still questions... although all I did is go to the junkyard for some springs and then start cutting shit off my truck
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 151255
Quote:
Originally Posted by operose View Post
I just swapped a set of 4leaf+overload F150 springs into my 1st gen yota. Similar to 1SAWB, my front hanger got moved forward ~9" and shackle hanger is in stock location, although I cut off the stocker and replaced with some beef.

Figured I'd throw this out there since there are still questions... although all I did is go to the junkyard for some springs and then start cutting shit off my truck

are they 2.5" or 3"
'
Old 10-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 151255
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnard View Post

good info thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 69243
Quote:
Originally Posted by con711 View Post
are they 2.5" or 3"
'
2.5"

I got new bushings from NAPA for something cheap and used my friend's harbor freight hydraulic press to press them in/out

junkyard said they came from a '91 2WD F150

Last edited by operose; 10-11-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #83 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2203
Quote:
are they 2.5" or 3"
'
2.5 here too from a 90's Ford 2x extra cab
Old 10-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 81923
Send a message via AIM to akaphilly
this happened a few weeks ago. yanked it back with another truck. didnt even affect the f150 springs!

akaphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 69243
Quote:

Forgot to add that this extended my wheelbase by about 3" and so I retubed the driveshaft while I was at it. The stocker was whipped anyway.

2" sch40 fits pretty close to perfect inside the stock shaft. Mine was dented to fuck on the pinion side and so had to be hammered close to round again to get the pipe in
Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 148752
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SAWB View Post
sorry missed this

my junk is a standard cab frame with an extra cab, cab the front axle is moved forward around an inch to inch and a half. the rear perch was moved forward 9 inches and the shackle mount is in the stock location with 6 inch shackles. it moved my rear axle back right at 4 inches when i did this which was fine with me. here is a pic from johnson valley at K.O.H. 2010.

FOUND A LINK ON A LOCAL SITE THAT I DID A QUICK WRITE UP ON
http://therockgods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9121
Thanks 1SAWB, Ive been wanting to do this F150 leaf swap but looking to keep the rear axle in the stock position. I bobbed my bed 10in and cut the frame right after the shackle hanger. Not sure if it would work without stretching the wheelbase??

I have 4in blocks on the rear that I really wanna get rid of... looking for anything to give me 3-4 inch rear lift

BTW this is my DD, I have a R6 but it rains a lot in Florida, so I only have a weekend to do this so trial n error is out of the question for me.

Any input?
Old 10-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 69243
Sounds like you could move the front hanger a bit farther forward and put a new shackle hanger in front of the old one, and your axle would be about the same location.

Break out the tape measure and get to work... I did this swap in the woods with a hi-lift jack, some blocks of cherry firewood, a generator, two dewalt angle grinders, and a lincoln MIG, and that's with frenched front hangers
Old 10-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #88 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 86280
For a one weekend install I would recomend picking up pre-made brackets from some one like sky offroad, or making them all ahead of time. If that is done ahead of time you shouldn't have any problem doing the swap in a day. If you are keeping stock wheelbase then you will be fine with the frame chop. You will need to move your shackle forward of the stock location.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 69243
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
For a one weekend install I would recomend picking up pre-made brackets from some one like sky offroad, or making them all ahead of time. If that is done ahead of time you shouldn't have any problem doing the swap in a day. If you are keeping stock wheelbase then you will be fine with the frame chop. You will need to move your shackle forward of the stock location.
After buying ruffstuff's frenched 63" chevy hangers because I was in a hurry... I'd just buy some 3.5" square tube and chop/drill it for a spring hanger rather than buying them. That goes double if you're just going to weld them on the bottom of the frame rather than french them.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #90 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925driver View Post
Thanks 1SAWB, Ive been wanting to do this F150 leaf swap but looking to keep the rear axle in the stock position. I bobbed my bed 10in and cut the frame right after the shackle hanger. Not sure if it would work without stretching the wheelbase??

I have 4in blocks on the rear that I really wanna get rid of... looking for anything to give me 3-4 inch rear lift

BTW this is my DD, I have a R6 but it rains a lot in Florida, so I only have a weekend to do this so trial n error is out of the question for me.

Any input?
no problem at all mine only took me a couple nights to do and that was after football practice and me screwing around. the longest for me was cutting and grinding all the old stuff off and clean up. now my junk is getting 60's so i get to start all over again
Old 10-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 126569
Quote:
what way you running your springs long side forward or short ? i ran the short side to the back
Im running short side back. It flexs so much better and i got a longer wheel base.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 39660
Quote:
After buying ruffstuff's frenched 63" chevy hangers because I was in a hurry... I'd just buy some 3.5" square tube and chop/drill it for a spring hanger rather than buying them. That goes double if you're just going to weld them on the bottom of the frame rather than french them.
What he said...

I also got these for shackle hangers and aside from a wrong sleeve they fixed, they worked great. Don't mind my crap welds...

The collective writing skills of the PBB is equivalent to a blind down syndrome-afflicted monkey with no hands and epilepsy.
christyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 69243
My pinion angle is shit now... got some spring perches on the way in the mail.

<edit>
Here it is with 35" BFG KM2s ... poser pic for now. need to make the wheel wells match up with the wheelbase stretch

Last edited by operose; 10-18-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 65147
so after all the reading and sirching I got started last night. I had already made my front hangers and as i wanted to keep the wheelbase about the same as stock, I put them 11" foreward of stock put some 6" shackles in the stock hangers and shackle angle of 88* dammit

So I cut off the stock shackle hangers just below the top plate and then cut them down by basicly cutting a 45 from the corners of the side plates to the apex of the tube. I then replated the tops with .25 and boxed the ends with .25

Last edited by damienhellfire; 11-30-2010 at 09:12 PM.
damienhellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 96614
Send a message via Yahoo to redpim1
I mounted mine in the stock front spring hangers with the short side of the springs forward. I welded new shackle hangers on the rear of the frame at about .5" from the rear of the frame (my frame is not cut down). I built a set of shakles with that are 7" center to center. This won't work for a 4runner with out sheet metal work for the wheel wells but on a flatbed truck like mine it worked good. The best part of this is I did not have to have a rear drive shaft built the distance the 1995 F150 springs moved the axle back was with in .375" of what the crawl box added into the drive train. This is the only pic I have loaded of the spring swap.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 183262
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange crusher View Post
I ran 88 ford 4x4 leafs and removed the overload. I couldnt be happier with how they worked.

[IMG][/IMG]

Iím in the process of building a 2nd gen 4runner and have a feeling the 4x4 leafs might work better with the runnerís heavy ass. Can we get some other people running this set up to chime in? This is literally the only post i found on the subject.
PhTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #97 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 156657
This place has some usefull infowww.huskyspring.com Check out the ford leaf spring look up code.
There is quite a few different choices when it comes to these springs. When i asked the junk yard for springs they had three packs all off. The main leaf shows up on the interchange as the same 80-96 yrs. I grabbed 2 of the better looking packs , so i get them home to find out they have different rate/cap to them .The only thing that seems to be the same on the packs is the main leaf.I ended up with a 92 150 flare side and dont know what the other is out of. They have identical length,arc,and the 25/31 measurements. What i do know is the spring out of the flare side is stiffer do to the other leafs in the pack are little thicker.Both packs are 3 leaves w/over load. If i stand and bounce on the packs at the center pin the flare side pack compresses 1 inch the other compresses 1 7/8.
My weight is 180 pounds. So I will be going back to bounce on the other one.
cryptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 44162
Send a message via AIM to Hemenechi
i have to say. after reading this very helpful thread i went and did the swap on my truck. and it works the balls! I recommend doing this swap : best part is you have a way better departure angle
Hemenechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 65147
Fuck yes sir!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic toy View Post
This place has some usefull infowww.huskyspring.com Check out the ford leaf spring look up code.
There is quite a few different choices when it comes to these springs. When i asked the junk yard for springs they had three packs all off. The main leaf shows up on the interchange as the same 80-96 yrs. I grabbed 2 of the better looking packs , so i get them home to find out they have different rate/cap to them .The only thing that seems to be the same on the packs is the main leaf.I ended up with a 92 150 flare side and dont know what the other is out of. They have identical length,arc,and the 25/31 measurements. What i do know is the spring out of the flare side is stiffer do to the other leafs in the pack are little thicker.Both packs are 3 leaves w/over load. If i stand and bounce on the packs at the center pin the flare side pack compresses 1 inch the other compresses 1 7/8.
My weight is 180 pounds. So I will be going back to bounce on the other one.

attn. all noob cocksnugglers /\/\ this is an excellent first post, he registerd a year ago and made his first post today with tech and an excellent resource! I dont know if the site is his and he is just pimping it out but I dont give a fuck because it is a valuable tool.

I had a hell of a time getting bushings for my toy hanger ford combo and these guys got em

Last edited by damienhellfire; 03-05-2011 at 12:44 PM.
damienhellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #100 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 156657
Mr. hellfire the site is not mine . I came across this place when i did a SEARCH for f-150 rear springsWent back and checked out that third pack and it was different also. So what i am ending up with is a matched pair out of a 94' bronco.The VIN sticker in door jamb for the spring code is j4d. It has a 5 leaf pack with no diveing board. Same measurements as the 150 packs . Hopefully i will have them by the end of the week, they were still in bronco .I think these may work better for me with a chopped up 4-runner and having gas tank,full sz 42" spare, loaded cooler,HIlift ,tools,gear,and some cage work.They should also be better w/fighting axle wrap.When i get them i will bounce and measure ,then post up the results. Oh yeah just nobody has to ask, RUF w/7 leafs,60's f/r on 42"s,d300t-case ,toy crawl box,a340,and 1uzfe = 8 angry squrrils.
cryptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote