22RE Fuel Injector Question - how to test? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9384
Thumbs down 22RE Fuel Injector Question - how to test?

I just rebuilt my 22RE and upon starting for the first time it had a rough idle and lots of popping when driven. I then diagnosed the no 1 cylinder wasn't firing, It had spark so i used a stethoscope to listen to the injectors and came to the conclusion that the no. one injector was not working, I also pulled the injector wire connector and it made no difference in engine performance.

I then pulled apart the wiring harness to verify that the splices were good and they appear to be, and i also used a noid light and the cabling looks good.

So Today I took apart the upper intake to replace the bad injector, I just tested the "bad" injector and it tests at 2.4K ohms and the new injector is at 2.6K ohms.

Is there a way to actually test the injector?

Is it possible even though the "Bad" injector test good with an ohm meter it is still bad?

Anyone have any other suggestions for testing the injector or harness?

I would hate to put this back together and still have the same problem.

Thanks in advance

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Last edited by DMS1; 07-19-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Spelling, even more spelling ;- )
DMS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 116913
i have seen many electrical componants ohm test good that are still bad.
buggytoy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4716
The resistance check just verifies there is no open or short circuit inside the injector coil. There can still be a mechanical problem with the injector that prevents it from opening. I sent mine out to a rebuild shop where they were tested, cleaned and flow balanced:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...html#Injectors

You can test the connectors for power with a "noid light". And not uncommon for the splices in the injector wiring to go bad and cause an open circuit.
4CrawlR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1852
Send a message via AIM to dcg9381 Send a message via Yahoo to dcg9381
I just had some trouble running down an injector issue.
I had 4 injectors - I sent them into www.witchhunter.com to have them balanced, flow tested, and cleaned. They came back in good shape.

Installing them on the truck, I had an issue at idle. My mixture would jump from rich to lean every so often. I started pulling plug wires one at a time.
I found that #1 was not firing - but only at idle.

Like you, I had good spark.

The first thing I tried was switching the injector wires. I switched #1 and #2 wires to alternate injectors. The miss stayed with the #1 injector. Verified by pulling the plug wires and listening for a decrease in idle.

I pulled that injector put a some rubber tube behind it, filled with carb cleaner, and fired the injector.. Note on factory toyota low impedance injectors, you should fire the injector through a resistor. Check the measurement (in ohms) of your resistor box. That injector fired fine, flowed good fuel... So there was some problem with the injector "response" at idle.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote