Honing wrist pin bushings?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 21533
Honing wrist pin bushings??

So I'm building a new motor and I was told by the machine shop that when I got my kit in that for a fee that they would press my new wrist pin bushings in and hone them to fit. He explained that the proper fit is for the pin to just barely be able to slide through the bushing with a little oil on them... So I'm messing around on Saturday and I get the bushings pressed in and there is no way I'm getting the pins in without honing them. Anyone ever done this?? I'm familiar with honing cylinders, but not really sure what type of hone to use for this job... I know you can get a small hone for doing brake cylinders, but is there a special hone for wrist pin bushings? I'd assume that there has to be since the bushings are brass/bronze bearing material and a normal hone would chew these things up. Anyone have some info on this??
Thanks!
Chad
85 Toy PU @ 5", on 39.5 Pitbull Rockers, flat bed, York OBA, stretched to 111" WB, Marlin Crawler, 5:29's, Aussie Locker and Longs in the front/spool in the rear, crossover steering, doorless... most of the time!
chuggins143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuggins143 View Post
So I'm building a new motor and I was told by the machine shop that when I got my kit in that for a fee that they would press my new wrist pin bushings in and hone them to fit. He explained that the proper fit is for the pin to just barely be able to slide through the bushing with a little oil on them... So I'm messing around on Saturday and I get the bushings pressed in and there is no way I'm getting the pins in without honing them. Anyone ever done this?? I'm familiar with honing cylinders, but not really sure what type of hone to use for this job... I know you can get a small hone for doing brake cylinders, but is there a special hone for wrist pin bushings? I'd assume that there has to be since the bushings are brass/bronze bearing material and a normal hone would chew these things up. Anyone have some info on this??
Thanks!
Chad
Not worth you trying to do it. Have you seen the size of the pin---not enough room to even get one hone bar in there from a brake hone

The machine I saw (not sure what its actually called) isn't a hone machine but has some kinda cutter in it that they can increase the size as its cutting.

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2008, 06:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 31353
Send a message via AIM to Kaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuggins143 View Post
Thanks!
Chad
U need to take it to the machine shop. It's cheap for them to do it and they know what they are doing.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 21533
Good enough for me. I try to be pretty self sufficient most of the time but I guess some jobs should be left up to the pros.
Thanks guys!
Chad
85 Toy PU @ 5", on 39.5 Pitbull Rockers, flat bed, York OBA, stretched to 111" WB, Marlin Crawler, 5:29's, Aussie Locker and Longs in the front/spool in the rear, crossover steering, doorless... most of the time!
chuggins143 is offline   Reply With Quote