84 toy build-39.5 tsl's and buick v-6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
84 toy build-39.5 tsl's and buick v-6

well i have been lurking a while on here so i figured i should finally get a build thread going.

So, i bought this 84 toy to be a DD for me after selling my old truck and moving to Alaska.

First added was a warn M8000 and some 31" mud tires from Craigs list:

i also added a aussie locker soon after and then wheeled like that for a short while until i realized my tires were shit!!!

so i ponied up for a set of 31x11.5 LTB's and some wider rims- here i am on the stampede trail near denali, i know the flex shot sucks but for stock not to bad!!:

here is a lighter shot:

well after wheeling the piss out of the stock suspension for a couple months and driving half of alaska's roads (i also showed up alot of fords on 37+ tsl's and boggers!!!) i ended up ripping the rear spring perch off the frame from the common toyota frame rust making it weak.
ryantowry_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
So i borrowed a buddies shop and in two weekends i put chevies in the rear and RUF up font with an extra inch of forward axle movement and designed custom hangers and shackles to make around 6" of lift to clear some 39.5x15-r15 TSL's i got with 2000 miles off craigslist for 650 bucks!!! I also cut the fenders out a little and plan on cutting out more in the rear once i move the gas filler out of the fender well:

even had a cmaper to sleep 5 for a while but was too top heavy to wheel with well:

ok so i wheeled the piss out of this for a couple of weeks and under the encouragement of another board member on here (Mike Honcho) i threw that truck with stock 4.10's and stock motor through every hole we could find and i even passed up a fullsize on 44 boggers on a muddy hill....he was pissed!!

well after a little too much of that the old 22r with 265K on the clock finally decied to give up the goat!! so i parked her and a friend gave me a buick 225 out of his 43 GPW that was stolen then burnt at a local shit hole hangout:

before:

After:

he wanted part of his baby to live on so he gave me the motor if i help him put fullwidths on his XJ.

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 01-14-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
So i did some research and got the parts in order:
AA adapter to stock 5-speed
Tacoma clutch disc that fit my buick flywheel and pressure plate
fj-60 slave
electric taurus fan
oddfire HEI
one wire GM alt
and started the project!!

got her pulled in like 3 hours and cleaned up the new motor and found the motor to be insanely fresh and lived up to the 4000 miles my friend said it had on her!!

was thrown a free elderbrock electric choke 650 CFM carb and GM P/S pump from my good friend i helped rebuild a 350 so i got that figured out.

Also had to cut and reweld the stock manifolds to fit in the frame rails, then used a die grinder to smooth out the inside and out and make sure there are no holes.

I finally got her to run last sunday with all fluids filled and all 4 wires hooked up. That motor sounds mean!! to thing it has the same jets and metering rods as my 68 el camino with a 350!! also saw dyno results from the previous owner who had the motor buit and they said it was running 253HP and 305 FTLBS with his 650 CFM holley so it should definately liven up my 4.10's and 39.5's. right now i am debating to regear or not? i have heard the 5.29's are nice but i know the 4.10's are stronger? and if i throw the 4:1 low range in there i dont really need the 5.29s but then having the reduction further up in the drive train applies more stress to some parts. if i had my way i would get some planitary gear sets in portal axles, and then go ag tires but i dont have that kind of $$$$

I am really happy as she sits now except i still need to get exhaust made so i can go try out the new motor!!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 117484
Looks sweet man. How are u going to deal with smog? Or is it trail only??
Old 01-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey0712 View Post
Looks sweet man. How are u going to deal with smog? Or is it trail only??
well n alaska once you et out side of Anchorage and Fairbanks you dont do smog!! so i just got o move out of anchorage, or make it look like i did....

the other option is called a summer waiver, and you pay the 50 bucks every two years and then you get special tags to drive in anchorage from april through september, but cant in the winter. I have hard though that with a summer waiver you can still drive out side the bourough but i need to confirm with the municipality.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
some teaser pics:
motor pics:

got bored with some spray on bed liner:

patrick added some paint to the hood......not sure if i am a fan:

and the sticker:

alli got to do is finish building the exhaust and mont up and plump the P/S pump and wire the fan and we should be good for sunday!!!

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 01-16-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Toyota Dismantlation

Member # 100293
Send a message via AIM to Erick561
interesting motor choice. propane!
Erick561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick561 View Post
interesting motor choice. propane!
the motor choice was made for me when my friend said i could have it for free!!! and it only had 4k miles on a fresh rebuild and dyno tune!!!

and you cant realy run propane up here casue it gets too cold up here, and there are only a couple places to gt propane up here so if we make long trails you cant get a fill up like you can with gas!!

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 01-16-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2242
Looks good Ryan! I assume that you are going to put a snorkel on it for deep water crossings? Do you have gears in the transfer case or axles yet?

I like the picture with the camper on it!
Vehicle Features, Tech, & Trail Reports
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Looks good Ryan! I assume that you are going to put a snorkel on it for deep water crossings? Do you have gears in the transfer case or axles yet?

I like the picture with the camper on it!
Thanks Harry, good to hear from you again and i cant waitto read the article!! I saw the cover but havent got my hands on a copy yet.

i got stock chevy air cleaner and housing that i am going to seal up and make fit a snorkel. will prbably get my friend to bend up some 3" galvanized exhaust pipe and use that for the snorkel body and then put a small filter on top.

The axles and transfer case gears are stock for now but they are planned for, i just am savig the $$ for it. think i might do the 4.6 single cae and leave the 4.10's for a while, and hold out for a selectable front locker when i regear.

unortunately the camper got sold after getting the truck on two wheels in an icey parking lot cause it was tooo top heavy!! wasn't even trying hard but my friend said the iside tires were a foot off the ground!! glad i never wheeled it like that!! also the money went a long ay in the motor swap!!

I am curious to see how 4.10's and all the HP feels, itwould pull 65 with the 22r but with around 300 FTLBS of torque it hould pull the highways speeds a little easier.

So when yu coming back up to wheel again? maybe see if you can get your truck up hee and wheel that? i know we could put together a toyota run if you wanted i know of at least 7-8 really setup toyotas here in town!!

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 01-16-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 112659
Well is it ready to go out and play with? Looking good bro. Give me a ring somtime
Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 17164
Any new updates?
Where you guys heading sunday?Been out to Knick/jims crick recently?Curious as to how it looks out there.If I can get another ride or two in on my bike before deploying.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 84074
Looks good Ryan, I cant wait to get back and wheel with you!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 94059
i've got one of those engines in a 68' commando just sittin, it's got a kenne bell intake on it, and a comp 268 cam, but not much else as far as mods i've thout about swapping it into my toy for years, just hav'nt done it. how heavy is your flywheel? does yours have aluminum heads, roller rockers? what kind of valve covers, it's getting harder to find performance parts for these engines
halonamiaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
Nice job. As for the motor of choice--for your part of the word certainly not the best--dist up front...

Love it up there. I have a buddy who wheels and lives outside of anchorage.. Some day I will make it back up...

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:01 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 89727
I would have loved to have had that camper on my old '84 when I was stationed up there at Ft. Richardson..
I don't remember having to deal with emissions bs up there, but it was a long time ago.
Have fun, muskeg likes to sucks trucks down
Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
Well is it ready to go out and play with? Looking good bro. Give me a ring somtime
havent got to work on it with the girl here but she flew back to washington last night so hopefully i will get to next weekend, if i dont have to go to black rapids on work again!! i will give you a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halonamiaha View Post
i've got one of those engines in a 68' commando just sittin, it's got a kenne bell intake on it, and a comp 268 cam, but not much else as far as mods i've thout about swapping it into my toy for years, just hav'nt done it. how heavy is your flywheel? does yours have aluminum heads, roller rockers? what kind of valve covers, it's getting harder to find performance parts for these engines
i have the heavy jeep flywheel, thinking 60# IIRC, with a wieland dual plane intake and a RV cam and oifenhouser valve covers. still has the steel heads and regular rocker s but still plenty of torque for the toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Nice job. As for the motor of choice--for your part of the word certainly not the best--dist up front...

Love it up there. I have a buddy who wheels and lives outside of anchorage.. Some day I will make it back up...
well i never had a problem with the toyota dist being up nfront and i had her to the windshield in mud and water a couple times so i dont see that being a problem especially now that it is alot taller.

definately a wheelers dream up here!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdropzone View Post
I would have loved to have had that camper on my old '84 when I was stationed up there at Ft. Richardson..
I don't remember having to deal with emissions bs up there, but it was a long time ago.
Have fun, muskeg likes to sucks trucks down
only problem with the camper is it made my truck really, really top heavy, glad i never wheeled it hard with that thing on there it could have been scary!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
well i got her out and ran her and got the bugs mostly worked out of the motor and she screams with that motor compared to the old 22r!!! even got the 39.5's to spin on dry pavement in high range with the 4.10's it has!!! i was impressed by that......but being the person that is never satisfied with his truck i am buying a set of one tons and possible 42's so we will see what happens next!! i plan on wheeling it the way it is for the summer as long as i can keep from breaking shit and then next winter swapping in the one ton axles! stay tuned for the next installment
Old 04-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Toyota Dismantlation

Member # 100293
Send a message via AIM to Erick561
how bout some pix?
Erick561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
Ya--lets see some pics of you out enjoying your hard work

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Ya--lets see some pics of you out enjoying your hard work
well the last time i tested it it was dark so i couldn't get any pics but they will come, i do have a short clip here for a teaser:

Bucik toyota finally running Video by Ryan - MySpace Video

i am going down to washington for a week to see the fam but when i get back i will get some pics and more video of her in action and maybe i can break an axle to justify swapping the one tons in faster....lol
Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 52396
I always liked the Buick 225 V-6. I had one in my first car, '70 Commando. Good times.

Last edited by Alex123456; 04-08-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Alex123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 129345
Send a message via MSN to Tw1st3d Up
I'm liken the engine and the way it fit's in the rig.
One of my more favorite builds so far good work

my dad works up in Anchorage and Kodiak for a few months out of the year. Beautiful part of the country.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZo_B5OXfY&feature=related]YouTube - tundra[/url] I want
Tw1st3d Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw1st3d Up View Post
I'm liken the engine and the way it fit's in the rig.
One of my more favorite builds so far good work

my dad works up in Anchorage and Kodiak for a few months out of the year. Beautiful part of the country.
thanks wait till i get the one tons on there!!!

I also loce it up here, and if you ever make it up let me know i willtake you out to see what alaska wheelin is like
Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 89309
I like, Truck looks good!.. Looking at the pictures makes me want to go up there even more now, thanks fawker! I WILL definatly be up there next summer no matter what!! Hopefully i can bring my toy up there???