84 Pickup V8 swap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 128075
84 Pickup V8 swap

What up all. Im working on a chevy v8 install in my 84 toyota pickup. Tuned port 350 out of an ~89-ish trans am. Turbo 400 trans, built NP 241 t-case. Engine, trans, t-case are all bolted in after fabbing up a sweet (IMO) crossmember, and motor mounts. Im wondering if anybody can give me some advice about their experience with exhaust manifolds/headers with this swap. The stock driver side manifold is in a good position for mating up a downpipe and exhaust piping, but the passenger side manifold dumps pretty much on top of the frame rail. I think i could fab a pretty crazy series of bends to get around it, but dont like that option. Ive heard of "block hugger" headers (such as from NWOR) but wonder if anybody has any experience with those. Also, somebody recommended LS-1 (Camaro) manifolds. Anybody used 'em? I will eventually choose something, but if somebody else has figured a good option for this setup, im looking for ideas. (Oh, and anybody can throw in their 2c about radiators too...) Thanks.

Intend to post a pretty in-depth photo history with descriptions eventually. Been keeping a pretty good log of the progress...

I WILL FINISH BEFORE LEFT HAND CANYON RE-OPENS GDMF!!!
Anti404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3931
Send a message via AIM to Adam F
im using ebay block huggers. they work. i used some 90's to bring the exhaust back right under the motor. info is at my site.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 93989
Certainly this topic has never been covered before

Lucky_Thirteen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti404 View Post
What up all. Im working on a chevy v8 install in my 84 toyota pickup. Tuned port 350 out of an ~89-ish trans am. Turbo 400 trans, built NP 241 t-case. Engine, trans, t-case are all bolted in after fabbing up a sweet (IMO) crossmember, and motor mounts. Im wondering if anybody can give me some advice about their experience with exhaust manifolds/headers with this swap. The stock driver side manifold is in a good position for mating up a downpipe and exhaust piping, but the passenger side manifold dumps pretty much on top of the frame rail. I think i could fab a pretty crazy series of bends to get around it, but dont like that option. Ive heard of "block hugger" headers (such as from NWOR) but wonder if anybody has any experience with those. Also, somebody recommended LS-1 (Camaro) manifolds. Anybody used 'em? I will eventually choose something, but if somebody else has figured a good option for this setup, im looking for ideas. (Oh, and anybody can throw in their 2c about radiators too...) Thanks.

Intend to post a pretty in-depth photo history with descriptions eventually. Been keeping a pretty good log of the progress...

I WILL FINISH BEFORE LEFT HAND CANYON RE-OPENS GDMF!!!
Please search

crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 66817
ram horns
Old 01-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 105212
manifolds

I have an 83 just got it running and put the 350 in with a very slight tilt. can't even tell unles I point it out. It clears with a hair to spare. been out and twisted it and jumped on it and no problem. By the way that is a volvo radiator fits good , I have a 3 in body lift and the radiator fits uner the radiator support and sits on the bumper lift blocks sitting on their sides welded to the front cross member with the volvo rubbers sitting on top of them. P.m. if you want to know more. hope that helps
Attached Images

Last edited by ssic off road shop; 01-25-2009 at 08:28 PM.
ssic off road shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
I LYKE TRUX

Member # 80235
LS1s have splayed ports. Like a SB ford
Maybe LT1s. ?
OregonYO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.