22R now goes clunk, clunk, ... IS IT BLOWN OR NOT? Advice welcome! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 144395
Talking 22R now goes clunk, clunk, ... IS IT BLOWN OR NOT? Advice welcome!

Hello Pirate4x4,

Recommended Summary:
My shit knocks and smokes, is there any way it's still good?

Background Details:
New here. First post.

After watching it mostly sit for a few months stopped to talk about a FOR SALE sign. Bought a 1984 Toyota 2wd extra cab with 234,000 miles for a few hundred. Jump started it in the dark then drove home. Next day noticed alternator belt was gone so installed one. Oil was off the stick so put in two quarts of 30 weight. After filling noticed over the dipstick a bit but drove anyway (would overfilling with oil cause my problem situation below somehow?).

Drove it a few days and couple hundred miles. Mostly drove well. With one exception: warm idle was rough and too low to stay running. So drove with two feet at stop signs. Noticed would shift from second to third in the automatic at about 70mph when blowing carbon out so ran strong at higher RPMs.

Took to a friend to look at it with the goal to turn up idle. Drove it into his shop. When we took oil dipstick out looking with a shop light could see little puffs of smoke coming out of the dipstick hole and thought gulp. Friend said PCV. We then did the plugs, fuel filter, PCV valve, and air cleaner (noticed oil in the bottom and hoped because of overfilling second gulp). I can blow backward on old PCV by mouth and not on the new one - old PCV appears bad may explain smoke.

I was in the drivers seat when he had me start it for the first time to adjust carb. Idle was low as still warm so had to keep foot on the gas to keep running. He had me take my foot off the throttle and the idle and engine nearly died. Had very very low RPM like the vehicle was hardly running when he was adjusting the carb like chug, chug. Right then my engine developed a new loud "chlunk" "chlunk", ... sound that goes faster or slower with RPM I had not heard before. Very loud like a rod is going out or bad detonation. Gets faster / slower with RPM. We turned it off right away as and did not want to cause any possible further damage engine.

Checked the firing order thinking we made a mistake and it is 1-3-4-2 as it should be.

Then did not know what do do next. Many questions come to mind: Did I throw a rod as have seen that before and is what it sounds like? Could a carb adjustment cause this loud sound? Would one of the plugs is not firing for some reason due to us making an error replacing them? Does anyone know first-hand what a 22R sounds like when one cylinder is not firing (when one plug wire is removed does a 22R make a chlunk, chlunk, sound)?

Do you more experienced 22R people think it can be made to run again even though making bad sound now? It drove just fine into my friends garage before the sound started ...

Could be blown but hope to fix. Have a timing light, digital tach, tools, car trailer with tow vehicle to move it if need to, compression gauge, digital volt/ohm meter, and more. Am experienced working on vehicles so now diving into this. Reaching out for information from those more experienced working on 22R engines is what brought me here. Not sure what to do first and next while plan to share progress and eventually fix.

For now I am only guessing. My plan is do what I know first:

1) compression test
2) leak down test
3) check old wires with an ohm meter
4) replace the cap/rotor/wires.
5) re-install new NGK plugs as seem fine.
6) drain oil and look for metallic parts.

Should probably do if above doesn't fix (have not done these):

7) check timing when not running - this could be a detonation problem.
8) check valves (have done on other cars not a 22R).

Any other ideas, feedback, and similar experiences are welcome.

Ed

Last edited by 84xcab2wd; 10-17-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: shortened and added summary as suggested.
84xcab2wd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 121798
Is it a hemi?
[SIZE="1"]'Axled and locked daily on 35's...mall crawler :flipoff2:[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[URL=http://www.12voltguy.com]12 Volt Guy[/URL]|[url=http://www.marlincrawler.com]Marlin Crawler[/url]|[url=http://www.inchwormgear.com/store]Inchworm Gear[/url]
[url=http://www.OTRATTW.com]ARB Style Switches To Fit Your Factory Switch Openings[/url]
[COLOR="Yellow"]IBEW Local 48[/COLOR][/CENTER]
A New High is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 144395
I wish.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 109586
I actually read the whole fukin post waiting for the punch line...........

I'm still waiting. Thanks for joining.

Kiwi
Kiwipushrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 144395
When someone buys a used rig and within a few days it sounds like a rod knocking could be funny to some. Will know how funny when fixed. Please stay tuned.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 109586
Hey 2wd,

We dont have much time!..... I can help save You from some of the butt hurt that's about to happen to You.

But first I have to ask...Have You been approached yet?

Kiwi
Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132056
Do a compression test and a leak down test, do not start the motor just let it crank over. Then check timing and adjust valves. It could be detonation. If you want I could come help, I'm in Portland as well.
JediJesus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 144395
Thank you JediJesus for your reply and generous offer. May take you up on it as do not have direct first hand experience myself and you do. Could return favor giving a good place to work on yours out of Oregon rain (or something). Will do some online research on your advice and send you a private email to discuss details. We can work on it under cover with light out of the weather here or where at as have access to shop space. Will send you a private message so we can at least keep in touch. It is nice to know another Toyota person in town and glad I posted here. Will let all know if it is a goner or not and expect to be working on it this weekend starting in the morning. Tonight will go out and look for one of my two my compression gauges with fittings as recently moved and not sure can put my hands on them or not and would hate to have to buy a third one for this.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 109586
Is it Me....Or does this seem to be getting a little......
Old 10-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 144395
UPDATE: with some other advice that just came in... "clunk clunk developing when adjusting the carb could be more of a knock knock...your leaning the motor out (bad), or you have a loose or broken rod. Smoke out the oil filler or dip stick is usually a good sign of bad rings. Either is a good sign its time to rebuild. Pull the oil pan and check bottom end. Its a good amount of miles. If you can rebuild it yourself it wont cost you that much. She at best needs some new bearings, rings and a good hone job, eh? Thats if you haven't chewed into your crank shaft or don't have a nice ridge at the top of the cylinder walls."
Old 10-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 36464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwipushrod View Post
Is it Me....Or does this seem to be getting a little......

Hottrod81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 109586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrod81 View Post

Thank You.

Kiwi
Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 83215
You should also post this on Pirate2x2.com
SAVE THE HAMMERS POST #204
superman180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 144395
siperman: There is not a Pirate22r.com for Toyota people to share information when the 4x4 and 4x2 have the same engine. Did offer a great link as a peace offering to the over 1000 page Toyota Service Manual for all the 85 Toyota owners here with 22R engines which is something they may like to have if they did not already.

Last edited by 84xcab2wd; 10-16-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: added peace offering information.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 36464
Yotatech.com
Hottrod81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 144395
Hottrod81: thank you as yotatech.com is the other BBS I found to try at the same time. Was hoping to get as much info as possible before work on it over the weekend. Found good information and have many ideas on what to try tomorrow including possibly getting the help of a local which is already awesome so at this time when trying both to see where get better information I have to say Pirate4x4.com has had better information so far. Will tread lightly with a 4x2 and will focus only on things I know for sure are in common with 4x4s to add to the community here.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 121798
Not sure why, but it's REALLY hard to read and understand what your trying to say...

Maybe next time say something like "My shit knocks and smokes, is there any way it's still good?"
[SIZE="1"]'Axled and locked daily on 35's...mall crawler :flipoff2:[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[URL=http://www.12voltguy.com]12 Volt Guy[/URL]|[url=http://www.marlincrawler.com]Marlin Crawler[/url]|[url=http://www.inchwormgear.com/store]Inchworm Gear[/url]
[url=http://www.OTRATTW.com]ARB Style Switches To Fit Your Factory Switch Openings[/url]
[COLOR="Yellow"]IBEW Local 48[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by A New High; 10-16-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: I'm a douchebag
A New High is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102813
This is going to be the one time pass...

http://oregonengines.net/about.nxg

Best "Bang for your buck" that I could find around when I needed mine done....

PS if you dont "search" or "bring tech" to this forum, we are brutal, just wait and see.....

Because I didnt know until now how important this really is.....

Outstanding businesses (going above and beyond) that I have dealt with to date:

Marlin Crawler
Hellfire Fabworks
Daves Offroad
gearinstalls.com (Zuk)

Local 125
Mr Stubs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 144395
Please be nice. First post. Learning. Will try to be more brief while thorough to bring all need information. Will research and give. Here is another peace offering:

22R Carb FAQ: http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/

Doing 22R valves: http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=186494

Toyota Pickup & 4Runner history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux

Toyota R engine info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_engine

Degreeing a 22R cam: http://www.well.com/~mosk/degreecam.htm

20R / 22R / 22RE / 22R-TE performance info: http://www.toysport.com/technical%20...tech_notes.htm

Last edited by 84xcab2wd; 10-17-2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: miss-spelling first pass.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 105212
try rereading that stupid long version slowly and see if a makes any since to you at all. Have somone else read it word for word and see if it makes since. If you are gonna type that much at least make since. I couldn't read it all the way through so this is all the help I can give until you correct it or I get a couple coctails this afternoon
Old 10-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 144395
Thank you for the feedback "ssic off road shop" and others. Just re-wrote. Will get to the point and not try to tell a story in the future. Ed
Old 10-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 142724
Your shit is knocking, it had no oil, you drove it, you almost certainly damaged a bearing.

The knocking changes with RPM = Could also be wrist pin or piston slap.

Its gotta come apart or just run it till it blows, try some straight 50 weight racing oil.

The fact that it has 234K on it, I would say its just about at its design limitations anyway.

Swap in somethin with more power if you do decide to swap engines, being 2WD makes it SOOOOO much easier.

Look into a 1UZ, already auto (same auto as a matter of fact, A340) and you can get the entire car (Lexus LS400) for $500-1000!!

And its all toyota and reliable.
Gaslessyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 48292
where the fuck are you finding running sc/ls-400s for $1000

Last edited by slightdrift; 04-09-2010 at 01:15 PM.
slightdrift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 132275
Its not a fucking space ship! How much info do you need. R.T.F.M

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.