Pirate 4x4 banner

60mm throttle body upgrade (pane application)

10K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Blase 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a little tech on a big bore throttle body upgrade.

So this is a stock throttle body off of a 22re. It has a 55-mm bore and can be over bored to 58-mm

This is a stock throttle body from a 5mge (Supra/Cressida) It has a 60-mm bore.

Here is a pic of them side by side.

Before I get too deep in this be aware that there is two throttle linkage styles of TBs.
This is a link to a TB swap with the easier to convert style. It has crappy pics but will give you a idea of what it looks like. http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?topic=7543.0

This is the harder type to convert and the type that I will be talking about.

Now these TBs will bolt up but with two slight problems. One is the the single stud will need to be removed out of the bottom right side of the intake plume and moved to the bottom left.

The larger problem on bolt up is this.

As you can see, there is two small humps that need to be plugged. This could be done a number of ways (tig them closed, silicone, spacer plate, ext.) I made a spacer plate since my rig is going to be under boost and the throttle linkage needed to be modded (I will get to that in a minute)

Plate installed

Now that everything bolts up tight you will see that the intake plume needs to be match ported to the TB.

You can see in this pic a black line on the gold plating. This is a cut line.

See less See more
#2 ·
The piece is removed because will be in the way of the new
linkage arm.

The plastic cups on the linkage arm are just pressed on to a aluminum rod. I twisted them off and replaced the arm with a piece of small threaded rod. The cups will have epoxy in them to keep the rod from moving.

Now this makes for a better breathing system the equates to more go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.