22RE throttle body (?) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14600
Location: Covina,Ca.
Posts: 948
22RE throttle body (?)

The throttle body on my 85' has worn throttle shaft bores (bushings?) causing it to not come down in idle speed unless you "blip" the throttle. This is causing issues (along with a bad cat) with the smog guys. I looked at getting a used one but, at about $150 and maybe no better than mine, I've been hesitant to go that route. Is there a way to rebush these things, is there a kit available? The price of a new one is through the roof and I can't even find rebuilts. I have about 330,000 miles on it (the throttle body, not the motor) and the cat as well (I guess it was due for replacement) Any help is appreciated. Thanks!----------Hans
__________________
Just a redneck trapped in a brown man's body
Oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member # 54522
Location: NY
Posts: 2,745
$150 for a TB!!! check ebay. have you cleaned it?
__________________
86 4runner 7MGE bobed, exo, SAS on 38s, 5.29, fully locked with duals/4.7 and 30spl longs
dopeassjackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Mr Stubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102813
Location: PNW, land of liquid sunshine
Posts: 3,823
Holy shite!!!

If you dont need a TPS unit attached (they all seem to get pulled off quick) I can get one from a local pick and pull for $40..... pay for the part and shipping.... donations excepted....
__________________
My friends call me "The butcher"


Because I didnt know until now how important this really is.....

Outstanding businesses (going above and beyond) that I have dealt with to date:


Marlin Crawler
Hellfire Fabworks
Daves Offroad
gearinstalls.com (Zuk)


Local 125
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14600
Location: Covina,Ca.
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
Holy shite!!!

If you dont need a TPS unit attached (they all seem to get pulled off quick) I can get one from a local pick and pull for $40..... pay for the part and shipping.... donations excepted....
I've been searching the yards relentlessly with no luck I have three TPS (they're used on a whole range of Toyotas besides the 22RE....did a little research) I figures some of the Celicas might have the same throttle body but, can't find any of those either.......the only place I've been able to find them are at the Toyota specific yards and they just about want your first born! Also, adjusting the TPS is a total PITA! I've used the FSM, 4Crawler's write up and Frakenyota's as well and am still skeptical of the results! Is there an easier way?---------Hans
__________________
Just a redneck trapped in a brown man's body
Oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14600
Location: Covina,Ca.
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeassjackson View Post
$150 for a TB!!! check ebay. have you cleaned it?
The problem is that the worn (bushings?) are not allowing the butterfly valve to seat properly. I'll check e-bay. Thanks!------Hans
__________________
Just a redneck trapped in a brown man's body
Oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13707
Location: California
Posts: 1,958
access to a lathe?
Drill it out and make some new bushings.

My tb is doing the same thing, and I could't figure out what was causing it. Something to look into.
Toyoda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44480
Location: MT
Posts: 18,950
davezoffroadperformance.com
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 151045
Location: Walland, TN
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post
The throttle body on my 85' has worn throttle shaft bores (bushings?) causing it to not come down in idle speed unless you "blip" the throttle. I have about 330,000 miles on it (the throttle body, not the motor) and the cat as well (I guess it was due for replacement) Any help is appreciated. Thanks!----------Hans
My '88 4Runner with 320,000 miles had a similar problem characterized by:

1. Intermittently high, but steady idle (1500-2000 rpms) for over 2 years which often, but not always resolved by popping the gas pedal.
2. Initially only in summertime, but had progressed to year round.
3. Discovered if the gas was released slowly problem occurred, but if released suddenly, no problem.
4. The throttle assembly could easily (i.e., light digital pressure) be returned to normal when high idle was present.
5. Dashpot ruled out by inspection and using flat bladed screwdriver to push rod going to dashpot diaphragm down during high idle with no effect on rpms.
6. Thorough cleaning of throttle body with throttle/choke cleaner--no effect (but lots of gunk).
Decided it had to be either:
1) weak throttle valve spring--but why not problem all the time?
2) dirty throttle valve rod--why didn't cleaning affect?
3) throttle cable hanging up--made sense with 320,000 miles, sheath may contain gunk increasing friction between cable and sheath, which could be exaggerated in summer by heat expanding metal cable. Fast release of throttle would overcome gunk friction; hence, normal operation when gas pedal popped.

Removed 2 bolts holding throttle cable sheath flange to firewall, and the cable from the throttle assembly. Attached cable lubrication tool to cable end. Sprayed in lubricant until draining at firewall. To my surprise it also drained from undiscovered crack in cable sheath at sharp bend before the flange. Reassembled, took for long drive with many stops--worked fine. I suspect a crack in the sheath allowed water in and the cable has begun to rust or fray at that site.
After 3 days it began catching again so I've ordered a new cable.
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14600
Location: Covina,Ca.
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
My '88 4Runner with 320,000 miles had a similar problem characterized by:

1. Intermittently high, but steady idle (1500-2000 rpms) for over 2 years which often, but not always resolved by popping the gas pedal.
2. Initially only in summertime, but had progressed to year round.
3. Discovered if the gas was released slowly problem occurred, but if released suddenly, no problem.
4. The throttle assembly could easily (i.e., light digital pressure) be returned to normal when high idle was present.
5. Dashpot ruled out by inspection and using flat bladed screwdriver to push rod going to dashpot diaphragm down during high idle with no effect on rpms.
6. Thorough cleaning of throttle body with throttle/choke cleaner--no effect (but lots of gunk).
Decided it had to be either:
1) weak throttle valve spring--but why not problem all the time?
2) dirty throttle valve rod--why didn't cleaning affect?
3) throttle cable hanging up--made sense with 320,000 miles, sheath may contain gunk increasing friction between cable and sheath, which could be exaggerated in summer by heat expanding metal cable. Fast release of throttle would overcome gunk friction; hence, normal operation when gas pedal popped.

Removed 2 bolts holding throttle cable sheath flange to firewall, and the cable from the throttle assembly. Attached cable lubrication tool to cable end. Sprayed in lubricant until draining at firewall. To my surprise it also drained from undiscovered crack in cable sheath at sharp bend before the flange. Reassembled, took for long drive with many stops--worked fine. I suspect a crack in the sheath allowed water in and the cable has begun to rust or fray at that site.
After 3 days it began catching again so I've ordered a new cable.
Yeah, that was one of the first things I suspected but, it sticks even with the linkage loose. You can grab the arm on the passenger side and literally rock the shaft up and down........it's pretty worn. I even tried calling LC Engineering asking how they go about rebuilding the "Big Bore" throttle bodies that they sell and if they had a rebushing kit available or know where I might find one and they informed me that they rebush it with parts and seals that they make and that I was better off buying one of theirs (at $300 + $100 core) I replied no thanks, I'll figure something out. Called the dealer, just for the hell of it, and that part (the entire throttle body) is a discontinued part and no longer available. So, I did a little online searching and found a place up north (Rancho Cordova, Ca) called Rancho Toyota Recycling and they had one for $50 + shipping. I figure for $65, I can take that one apart and maybe have the machinist at work make some bushings for it.........hell, it might be in great shape as is There might be a market for a rebushing service........c'mon you machinist types! Thanks guys for all the input, though!----------Hans
__________________
Just a redneck trapped in a brown man's body

Last edited by Oatmeal; 01-12-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 151045
Location: Walland, TN
Posts: 6
Oatmeal, I've got a BMW motorcycle and they also suffer from the problem you have with your throttle body. Here are a couple of links to threads on fixing the throttle bodies in BMW motorcycles. Don't know if it will help you. Good luck.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248583
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...gonew=1#UNREAD
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14600
Location: Covina,Ca.
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
Oatmeal, I've got a BMW motorcycle and they also suffer from the problem you have with your throttle body. Here are a couple of links to threads on fixing the throttle bodies in BMW motorcycles. Don't know if it will help you. Good luck.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248583
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...gonew=1#UNREAD
Thanks! I was kinda thinking in that direction. Links for the bushings are very helpful. I'm hoping the throttle body I ordered will be in good shape (better than mine, anyway) then, I'll take mine apart and see what I can do with it. Again.......thanks!--------Hans
__________________
Just a redneck trapped in a brown man's body
Oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14600
Location: Covina,Ca.
Posts: 948
Well, I've got my new/used throttle body cleaned up and installed and it works great! I'll take my old one apart and see what I can do with it. Won't hurt to have a spare on hand. Thanks again for all the input!----------Hans
__________________
Just a redneck trapped in a brown man's body
Oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply





Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.