22r temperature gauge/sensor - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 77578
Send a message via AIM to XJben
22r temperature gauge/sensor

My temp gauge is not working and I've looked around and found two plugs...the green one is hooked up, the brown one is not. I bought a new temp sensor and I think I know where it goes, but wanted to get some feedback. it looks as though the brown connection hasn;t been hooked up in a while...but can anyone tell me what is going on with the connection that is to the right of the green connector? This is all on top of the thermostat housing.
Thanks

this is the gauge that I got...can this be made to work?...they had one that cost $50....this one cost $14.

yesterday I took out the green plug/connector, spliced on a female connector and used the new sender that I bought in its place, but nothing changed. I'm also thinking the gauge on the cluster could be bad, but all the other gauges work. How would I go about checking the temp gauge by itself?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 85302
if only the factory would detail how to service their products in some sort of manual . that would be sweet.

edit: to test the gauge you apply voltage to it, it will read empty at X volts or less, and full at Y volts. to test the sender you put it in some water, find the temp of the water, find the resistance of the sensor, check the chart in the book and make sure it lines up. so, pretty please with sugar on top, read the fucking manual.

Last edited by Will.The.Thrill; 01-11-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Will.The.Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 77578
i downloaded a manual, but it's a thousand page PDF, so a little tedious looking through it. And, the FSM that I found is for a 1985 model, and I found how to test the gauge on a 1985 cluster, but the cluster on my 1981 is different. I know how to do reseach, been seaching the net for a few days now, found 2 or 3 diagrams, but they are either vauge or slighly different. other forums have not been much help either...of all the people that have rebuilt 22r engines here, and the vast knowledge base, I thought, just for a second, that a quick answer would put me on my way.

Also, the FSM won't tell me if an aftermarket cheap temp sender will work, I thought maybe someone here had done the same thing...thats what all of these forums are for.

If you didn't know the answer to my legit question, then why waste your time?

Last edited by XJben; 01-11-2010 at 05:14 PM.
XJben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 85302
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJben View Post
..... I'm also thinking the gauge on the cluster could be bad, but all the other gauges work. How would I go about checking the temp gauge by itself?
i answered that question. the FSM has the voltage range of the signal to the gauge.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 85302
if you need to know how to apply a certain number of volts to the gauge, use AA batteries or whatever you have lying around. voltage adds in series (+ terminal to - terminal)
Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 77578
thanks for the help