brake bleeder thread sealant? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 67772
brake bleeder thread sealant?

Having problems with the bleeder screws leaking a bit at the threads. Not sure if teflon tape would hold up to brake fluid. Thought of dabbing blue loctite on a dry bleeder, heating it to dry then install. Any thoughts?

I've searched with no luck. I know the cone seals the hole and not the threads, but it's making a mess when trying to bleed these things.
4joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2203
Send a message via Yahoo to 1SAWB
THE BLEEDER SCREW HAS A TAPPERED SEAT THAT SEAL'S IT. CHECK FOR CRAP IN THERE OR THE BLEEDER SCREW. NEVER LOC LITE THE DAMN THREAD'S.... AND LOC LITE DRIES WHEN THERE IS A LACK OF O2 NOT HEAT
1SAWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 67772
lets see, already stated that I knew about the tapered seat doing the sealing. Though worded differently. Hmmmm, never said I was going to loctite them in. I was thinking of allowing the loctite to dry before install. Big difference. I'm refering about when bleeding and using a tube to collect the fluid the threads are very loose and leaking at the same time. I've seen new bleeders with the sealant already on in the package. Just trying to not buy new ones and save a trip too. Thanks captain obvious!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2203
Send a message via Yahoo to 1SAWB
you are fucking dumb amazing you have made it this far in life

guess you should reread your post dumb ass
1SAWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 67772
http://65.213.72.112/tds5/docs/242-EN.PDF

look it up yourself asslick. Direct from loctite. Cure time is sped up when temp reaches 100 degrees. Dumbass.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stay the Trail

Member # 3937
I always use brake caliper lube (sil-glyed) on the threads to seal them. Helps alot.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.

Battlement Fab
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 146535
uh, bleeding brakes usually creates a little mess, even whith the hose on the bleeder. whats wrong with you? do you have obsessive-compulsive disorder? how can you go off-road whith all that dirt and mud?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 67772
OCD.....yeah, probably. The front calipers are reman and the threads are VERY loose. Kinda worried about eventually stripping them before the taper seals. Just picked up some permatex thread seal. Says it's good for hydraulic
apps too. Going to do the same thing as before. Apply to all but lower 2 threads on a clean/dry bleeder then let it dry. Then install and let it fill any gaps.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 87247
I guess it might help if your parts are junk...

Bleeders don't need sealant. .
NE-89-4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 74697
use red loctite
Old 01-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
How far are you opening them? 1/4-1/2 turn is all you need.

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/
http://www.marlincrawler.com/
http://www.12voltguy.com/
OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 96073
If you use a vacuum bleeder you won't get any seepage.

Better calipers will help, and so would some sylglide and new genuine brake bleeder nipples.
86tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 906
you WILL have a mess--- take it from a toyota line mechanic ---- thats why they invented "brake cleaner" !!

just make a mess--- and then clean it up !!! just a little spray will do it !!!!

i'll bet i can do the job with mess and cleaned up-DONE--- before you takeing all the time to trying to do without mess, can finish it !

(when you do it for a living--- time is money !!!!)
*Cancer survivor since 02-06*
Grand Marshall -KOH 2012
"Dad' to some of the greatest kids EVER
I was around when Pearl Harbor was bombed !

Last edited by Krusty; 01-23-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 67772
Well, it's good now. Just trying to tighten up the gaps in between threads and permatex thread sealant worked great. It's not so much the mess itself, just seems like everytime I need to bleed my brakes there's no one around. With my speed bleeders I can do it myself, but the threads were so bad I think it was sucking air back through the threads. Hit the brakes and I've got fluid everywhere including my epoxied floor. To those that helped or at least tried....thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46175
I have run the speed bleeders (spring loaded check valve style) before and I put Loctite's thread sealant on the threads. It doesn't actually lock the threads, despite the name.

Seriously though, how often do you bleed your brakes? I think we need a picture of this truck so we can understand your obsessive compulsive nature. Its a Toyota, not a Bugatti.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 67772
Not sure what brake fluid does to an epoxy floor. I'd hate to soften it up. Normally my car sits on it but the yota has been there for the 1 ton swap. I've had multiple problems making me take stuff apart and rebleed. The lastest was doing a gm master kit with my own adapter thanks to searching here.
It's just me here. No help of any kind and I'd hate to ruin the floor finish over this. The garage floor turned out so nice now I don't want to work on it. Go Fig, again thanks for the help and advice. It's all good now.....
Old 11-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 393313
I know i'm coming in this convo late (because i simply found your 4x4 board and thread from googling "brake bleeder thread sealant")....but GEEZE you people need to drop the attitude. 4joker was very specific in his question, and most of the reply's were just a waste of space.

I was looking for the exact same solution. I'm a mechanic, and when i flush a brake system i like to use one way bleeder valves instead of a vacuum pump. Install a bleeder, hose, and catch bottle, and use the brake to move the fluid: Done. and its the way the system is designed to work.

But after a few uses, the factory sealant on the auto bleeder threads wore off, and, like 4joker, i was looking for a good sealant. The best option turned out to be the most obvious - dry locktite on the threads.

So thanks to Mrboyle, Calibre, and 4Joker. You guys were helpful. The rest of you, if you fail at reading comprehension, or just feel like being an ass, drop the attitude and walk away from the thread.
Averagemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
gvx

Member # 199353
4joker Have you considered JB weld? I think it will seal up those threads works great on hydraulics.
gvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
gvx

Member # 199353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averagemechanic View Post
I know i'm coming in this convo late (because i simply found your 4x4 board and thread from googling "brake bleeder thread sealant")....but GEEZE you people need to drop the attitude. 4joker was very specific in his question, and most of the reply's were just a waste of space.
Some people fell through the crack when it comes to Darwinism. Isn't it obvious if the threads are that loose the threads are wore out or maybe they have the wrong bleeder installed in the past? try replacing one with the correct one if still loose you need new calipers.
gvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
Aka dragqueen5000

Member # 111580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averagemechanic View Post

I was looking for the exact same solution. I'm a mechanic, and when i flush a brake system i like to use one way bleeder valves instead of a vacuum pump. Install a bleeder, hose, and catch bottle, and use the brake to move the fluid: Done. and its the way the system is designed to work.

But after a few uses, the factory sealant on the auto bleeder threads wore off, and, like 4joker, i was looking for a good sealant. The best option turned out to be the most obvious - dry locktite on the threads.

So thanks to Mrboyle, Calibre, and 4Joker. You guys were helpful. The rest of you, if you fail at reading comprehension, or just feel like being an ass, drop the attitude and walk away from the thread.
Choke one gaggle of cocks.
dragrcr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
Aka dragqueen5000

Member # 111580
Or is is cockiepoos?
dragrcr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
I See You

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averagemechanic:22455713

Next time, don't register just to lecture people.

The shit is called thread sealant, what the fuck do you think it does?

I Like Bright Colors

Romans 1:28-32

Matthews 7:15-20

John 14

Surah 109

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22176
Speed bleeders often have the tip machined off center causing them to leak. If that's the case, toss them and put in another set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
If you can make wine in a toilet, you can make wine in Texas.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote