Kajo's Runner Ver. 3.0 - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #226 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2537
I hadn't planned on working in the garage this weekend but got bored this afternoon so I headed out to he garage. My steering pump was pretty loud on the last run and knew it needed replaced. Fortunately, I had a PSC power steering kit in the garage from a Samurai project that I acquired a while back and ended up keeping some of the nice pieces. Now the Sami kit has the wrong pulle so I ordered up one from summit early this week for when I got around to it. I also ordered up and adapter for a cone style air filter at the same time. So today I ended up getting the PSC pump and reservoir in and the new air filter. The routing on the line from the reservoir to the pump could be better but I need another 90 degree fitting to get it to work. I also need to get a smaller belt and some more power steering fluid. Wondering if I should ust run normal power steering fluid or synthetic.
Attached Images

4Runner build version 3.0

RightCoast4X4

SFC, US Army (Retired)
Cancer Survivor since 01/2002

Last edited by Kajo4x4toy; 07-10-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Kajo4x4toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #227 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2537
I found the info on the pulley and power steering bracket mods from reading the TC saginaw pump on the cheap thread and I found the adapter from the recent thread on swapping the battery and intake thread.
Attached Images

RightCoast4X4

SFC, US Army (Retired)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #228 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2537
I didn't realize how LOUD the whine from the power steering pump was. I picked up a new power steering belt today, added a quart or redline synthetic Power steering fluid to the system, bled the system and turned the key. Purrs like a kitten now at idle except for the occasional rattle from the exhaust hitting the body at the exhaust exit. Driving around the property there is no sound from the Power steering system but the exhaust rattles enough to be annoying. I think I will wrap the end of the exhaust with exhaust tape to create a tighter seal between the 3" tube and the exhaust tip to keep it from rattling.

On a side note: my tow rig/daily driver, 95 Ram 4X4 2500 LD, 5.9L V-8, Auto, is having major issues, this weekend, I need to replace the front shocks, replace the trackbar, replace front axle U-joints and install new bushings in the sway bar. The front end is all over the place when towing anything right now . Plus replace the exhaust system since the Y at the the Cat blew out last night and where it is it can not be fixed easily without replacing or removing the cat.I Need to have it ready for the NE Takeover the following weekend at Rausch Creek.

RightCoast4X4

SFC, US Army (Retired)

Last edited by Kajo4x4toy; 07-13-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #229 (permalink)
"ehh...you got that"

Member # 126355
not to nit pick, but if you put a 90* fitting on the bottom of your res, you could get a much better straight shot to your pump and shorten up the feed hose length. The guys at PSC are always preaching on getting the feed hose as short as possible.

Rig looks good

91 Xcab--4D's, chromo 60's, locked, TR's, Now receiving a facelift with Links, a cammed 5.3 with z06 goodies, built 700r4, and 2spd Stak
scottapher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #230 (permalink)

Member # 29757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajo4x4toy View Post
I didn't realize how LOUD the whine from the power steering pump was.
My truck had/has its own issues, but, yeah, I was noticing at the jambo how loud your steering was. Good luck with the Dodge.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #231 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottapher View Post
not to nit pick, but if you put a 90* fitting on the bottom of your res, you could get a much better straight shot to your pump and shorten up the feed hose length. The guys at PSC are always preaching on getting the feed hose as short as possible.

Rig looks good
I agree with you 100%. Actually the best routing is going to be a 45% at the pump and a 90% at the reservoir. It will be changed for sure once I get the 45% fitting. With the money I just had to spend to repair the tow rig, my play budget is exhausted at the moment

RightCoast4X4

SFC, US Army (Retired)
Old 07-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #232 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Did you get the part's for the Ram? Those things shouldnt be to bad to do to it. On the track bar if you put the top joint in first and set it down the kid can turn the steering wheel which will shift the axle so you can get the lower bolt in. By far the easiest way to line those things up...

Fixed the exhaust manifold on my tow rig today for the 3rd time

[B][URL="www.rightcoast4x4.com"]www.rightcoast4x4.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="http://www.dazednconfuzed.net/wp/"]www.dazednconfuzed.net[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.atozfabrication.com/"]www.atozfabrication.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.alltechmotorsports.com"]www.alltechmotorsports.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.davesoffroadsupply.com"]www.davesoffroadsupply.com[/URL][/B]

[QUOTE=FLEXYSAMMY;13977957]Yes you are correct Eric.[/QUOTE]
94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #233 (permalink)
White Trash Fab

Member # 100827
Send a message via AIM to smewhtguy
I had to do that whole list to my 01 ram last year, took longer to take the front apart to do the u joints than anything else. I did ball joints too while I had it apart. They were only $22 a piece at vato zone.

The "Trifecta"
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027210
DirtyGirl build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...irty-girl.html

Last edited by smewhtguy; 07-14-2011 at 03:29 PM.
smewhtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #234 (permalink)
Bring the Fail

Member # 14085
This jalopy making it out for Takeover?
YuNiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #235 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuNiT View Post
This jalopy making it out for Takeover?
It will be there. the tow Rig is up in the air, but I got another one lined up as a back up if needed.

RightCoast4X4

SFC, US Army (Retired)
Old 07-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #236 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2537
looked over the 4Runner tonight and it is ready to go for NE takeover.

I had to re align my hydro ram, it looks like the shaft spun in the cylinder causing the female rod end at the end to unthread from the shaft. When I looked at it it the jam nut was away from the rodend and whne I grabbed hold of it to shake it, it came apart . reattached it and put a nice cheater bar to the wrench to ensure the jam nut was tight enough. I also had to tighten the nut on the passenger side arm since it had a little play in it. 1 nut face was all it could go and put a new cotter pin in it.

While I was at it I also angled the tie-rod rod ends to prevent the tie rod from rotating when the ram puts force on it. I am guessing this was the cause of the loose ram in the first pace.

RightCoast4X4

SFC, US Army (Retired)
Old 07-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #237 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2537
THe 4Runner worked well this weekend at the NE TTora Takeover. I never looked into the front Detroit Locker issue and it did still have the same issue of the passenger side disengaging at times. It seems to be working as a limited slip but know it looks exactly like the rear 3rd and bought them at the same time.

I ran the tires at 13 front/11 rear on Sunday and think I have them pretty dialed in. I assumed they were at 13/12 on Saturday but when I checked them Sunday morning they were at 15/14. I am guessing the 95+ degree temp had something to do with that. The new power steering pump from PSC is so much guiter than the old stock modded pump. Steering was much easier too.

Video of me crawling up part of a shortcut that was used a couple years ago for RCQ I believe that the racers ran down. NOTE: This is at Rausch Creek, a private park, and I would never climb a tree on Public land.

‪Rausch Creek - Kajo on the "Race" course‬‏ - YouTube

I did bend my rear drive shaft on Saturday on Crawl Daddy. This is a stock tube and new it was a matter time. I was able to get it back to the trailer but their is about a nice bow to the shaft and it is dented on 3 sides.
Attached Images

RightCoast4X4

SFC, US Army (Retired)

Last edited by Kajo4x4toy; 07-24-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #238 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2537
Another video taken by YuNit on Friday. You can tell the tires needed a little bit less air in them.

‪VIDEO0031‬‏ - YouTube

Why do videos always make hills look like flat ground?

RightCoast4X4

SFC, US Army (Retired)
Old 07-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #239 (permalink)

Member # 130601
nice, I need to get working on my runner so i can bring it up there... i have a long ways to go!! hoping for the spring
Old 07-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #240 (permalink)
4XSURFER

Member # 6021
Sweet man! Looks like the runner is working real good!

92 4runner 22re, DD, under (slow) construction.

2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid already clocked 16k miles in 4 months
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #241 (permalink)
White Trash Fab

Member # 100827
Send a message via AIM to smewhtguy
Pics and video rarely do justice to the actual size and angles, runner looks like it was going to work.

The "Trifecta"
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027210
DirtyGirl build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...irty-girl.html
smewhtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #242 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 51681
Awesome! Glad to see it working so well!

1989 4runner project

BUY THESE! FJ80 Knuckles!!
AxleIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #243 (permalink)

Member # 18614
If your rig wouldnt be so dam low I could have seen under it better and maybe the driveshaft wouldnt be dented

[B][URL="www.rightcoast4x4.com"]www.rightcoast4x4.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="http://www.dazednconfuzed.net/wp/"]www.dazednconfuzed.net[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.atozfabrication.com/"]www.atozfabrication.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.alltechmotorsports.com"]www.alltechmotorsports.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.davesoffroadsupply.com"]www.davesoffroadsupply.com[/URL][/B]

Old 07-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #244 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94toytruck View Post
If your rig wouldnt be so dam low I could have seen under it better and maybe the driveshaft wouldnt be dented
I understand, you didn't want me to school you on the crack on C/V trail with my little 35's . Ethan said I should call my truck "Yoda" with the comment "Judge me by my size, do you" since it is green and so low compared to most of the other Toyotas at Rausch Creek.

The rear end needs some work. Thinking of ford rangers like the old exo runner and a Traction Bar to get rid of the axle wrap and also build it to help protect the driveshaft a little

RightCoast4X4

SFC, US Army (Retired)
Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #245 (permalink)

Member # 18614
That crack on CV is viscious my cage is torn to hell from it, again. Your runner wouldnt be so green or straight I dont think if you went in there. You can prove me wrong if you wish though

Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #246 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2537
After 3 brake jobs for family members this weekend I decided to work on figuring out a way to fix the rear driveshaft on the cheap. A couple months ago I acquired about 23 feet of unknown tube that I hope would work. It ends up it is seamless, 2.47" inside diameter and .187 wall. I am guessing it could be seamless schedule 40 but never heard of it. Anyways, this ended up being a very cheap fix as it is almost a perfect fit for the driveshaft. It is rusty so I ended up taking the wire wheel to it to clean it up as good as I could and then used a flap disc on the ends to get a nice shiny surface to weld. I through it in a little jig I made out of transfercase parts and got the run out to be .017 after welding. Just took my time welding, measuring, pounding, measuring, repeat. than thru on some green paint and called it good to go.

I also traded a rear seat for a seat delete panel last weekend. Not much to do but bolt it in but it is a sweet piece to have.
Attached Images

RightCoast4X4

SFC, US Army (Retired)
Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #247 (permalink)

Member # 61838
Glad to see its all fixed up already. That last pic looks good
Old 07-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #248 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 86280
Damn I have been wanting one of those seat deletes for a while, but never seem to find one. Runner is lookin sweet though, I plan on stealing a few ideas in the near future when I cage and 3 link mine.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #249 (permalink)

Member # 30965
Looks great Kajo! I hadn't seen your thread in probaby a year. When I scrolled to the latest posts showing yet another GREEN Toyota, I thought for sure they were old pictures of your truggy or your last 4Runner. Version 3.0 is instantly recognizable as a KajoBuilt. It looks great. I hope you're enjoying retirement. Only a few months until you're a TEN YEAR SURVIVOR. You better have a hell of a party and I want an invitation. I'm hitting the five year mark in October. Amazing how time flies. Count those blessings every day.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #250 (permalink)

Member # 86068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajo4x4toy View Post
I didn't realize how LOUD the whine from the power steering pump was.
It was so loud I thought it was my newly installed pump that was whining! You had me worried.

I must say it was way way more quiet at Takeover than it was at the 4Runner Jambo. Actually your whole truck is incredibly quiet!