Pirate 4x4 banner

electirc fan

939 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  dknightd 
#1 ·
How Much hp will i get from a electric fan on a stock 83 22r engine?

#5 ·
offroadtoy said:
How Much hp will i get from a electric fan on a stock 83 22r engine?
Why do you need an elec. fan ? if it's HP your looking for a fan aint gonna help. If it's for cooling issues, you have another problem and the fan is only a band aid fix.

By the way, I do have a fan but it is installed for that " just in case situation " I have never used it. ( 88 runner )

Also, You will be in trouble if you use a dedicated elec. fan and it goes out on the trail.

#8 ·
Somewhere around zero.
I look at it like this. You can have the fan belt turn the fan. Or you can have the fanbelt turn the alternator, to charge the battery, to run the electric motor, to turn the fan. Either way if the fan has to turn, it is going to take energy to do it.
Now if the fan clutch was frozen up, then you might gain a little from going to electric.

#9 ·
if your cooling system is operating correctly, your can clutch wont engage while youre driving on road anyway. the drag caused by the dissengaed clutch is insignifigant. its only low speed situations where there is no airflow where it becomes necassary, and your not usually dealing with high rpm, high hp demands. its on vehicles that have a direct bolt on (no clutch) fan and have high rpm requirements (think like race cars) where this gain becomes signifigant.

#10 ·
my fan runs

Am I missing something here? My fan runs on my '88 Pick-up. Granted I live in Arizona, but it still runs even at highway speeds when its hot out. Should it not run at all unless idling in traffic? Hmm, maybe my truck runs hot. But I know the clutch is NOT frozen because I can tell when it turns on and off. Some guy told me a 4 HP gain for an electic fan, but the energy has to come from somewhere for that electric fan to run. The electric fan might be more energy efficient, but you lose power whenever you convert between energy forms (in this case, mechanical to electrical, back to mechanical).

#12 ·
Re: my fan runs

nickbike said:
Am I missing something here? My fan runs on my '88 Pick-up. Granted I live in Arizona, but it still runs even at highway speeds when its hot out. Should it not run at all unless idling in traffic?

i didnt mean to imply it stops turning, it still will be turning, just much slower than the pulley.it is usually quite obvious when its engaged, from the noise (just listen to a v6 when first starts up). where i live an average hot day is 35-40 degrees celcius, and even with the grille blocked with bumper and lights it only comes on when im stopped or going hard up a long hill, but the added temp of where you live might just do it. there is a little bi-metalic coil on the front of the clutch which controls when it engages depending on the temperature of the air comming through the rad. ive found when it gets covered in mud and crap it doesnt work as well.

#13 ·
ifsbgone said:
Don't Forget to facture in the Suction Power of the Fan Pulling The Truck Along.
Hell, in Neutral Low Low Low You might Just be able to Wheel with your engine off using fan power.:flipoff2:

If you install a ronco turbo exhoust fan on your tail pipe, you can get the turbo blow power going too. :eek:

This thread sucks and blows...:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.