Pirate 4x4 banner

tcase shifter boot removal

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  5spd 
#1 ·
no, not the one on the floorboard. i am talking about the round one that covers up the snap ring area. how do you get the shifter into two pieces to change that boot? the shifter does not seem to be able to unscrew into two pieces, so there must be a trick. FSM shows nothing about it. thanks.

i'd upload a pic, but the board is fawked up and won't take them.

#2 ·
Pop out the snap ring at the base and remove the shifter. I can't remember if I slid the new boot on from the top or bottom though. Thinking top, so no need to remove the shifter in that case. It's been over 6 months, so I forget :flipoff2:

I answered part of your question though :p

#3 ·
i already popped out the snap ring and have the thing in my kitchen. the bottom has the ball, and there is no way i can get the new boot over that. the top half gets almost and inch wide at the base below the knob threads, so i am afriad i will tear it doing that.

#6 ·
Bones said:
It won't tear, trust me. If it is new that is. An old one probably will though. I'd install it from the top. After that, use it in the kitchen to mix up some eggs as well :D
alright, i owe you a :beer:

i cut the old one off, added a little grease just in case, and the new one slipped right on. sweet. thanks.

#8 ·
surlynkid said:
i already popped out the snap ring and have the thing in my kitchen. the bottom has the ball, and there is no way i can get the new boot over that. the top half gets almost and inch wide at the base below the knob threads, so i am afriad i will tear it doing that.
Since you allready have the parts in the kitchen run the new boot under hot water to make it softer and grease the shifter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.