Pirate 4x4 banner

Car 22RE swap

710 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Tim@DOA 
#1 ·
I have a 1987 Toyota truck and I was wondering what type/year of car I can get a motor out of that will smog properly in my truck.

Thanks Eric

#3 ·
85 and up would be your best bet. Just use the long block and put all of your 87 intake and exhaust on it to avoid any smog issues.

#4 ·
Is the 22re in it now not making smog??..you can use any 22re motor....It usually is not the block, all in the intake/ fuel supply ect...I would stick to the newest one I could find..the plenum in these do get a lot of muck in em and a couple of cans of carb cleaner in em does a good job..most of the time...mine was close and I put a 92 in it, but my efi was all 85 and I really had to clean it out good....took 4 cans on the cleaning job...

#5 ·
5spd said:
Is the 22re in it now not making smog??..you can use any 22re motor....It usually is not the block, all in the intake/ fuel supply ect...I would stick to the newest one I could find..the plenum in these do get a lot of muck in em and a couple of cans of carb cleaner in em does a good job..most of the time...mine was close and I put a 92 in it, but my efi was all 85 and I really had to clean it out good....took 4 cans on the cleaning job...
Nothing wrong with da rattle can of cleaner 25% more free, right?:D

#6 ·
Do the cars have different oil pans? I think I remember hearing this somewhere but haven't ever actually checked for myself. Just something else to look into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.