Pirate 4x4 banner

crossover alternative

979 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  ROKTOY 
#1 ·
instead of hysteer arms or the double arm for normal xover, you take the draglink and connect it to the tierod, ive seen it with coils but not with leafs, but aslong as you mounted it so that on full lock to the right it didnt contact the leaf it would be okay, but the the draglink would be kinda short. so would this werk? or if someone has done it got pics??

#2 ·
Attaching the drag link to the tie rod is an option - if you wanna go low $$$.

You will need an "s" shaped draglink - that makes it weaker.
The stock tie rod is NOT up to the task either - so plan on a serious upgrade there.
Bumpsteer will be an issue as well.

#3 ·
I think the idea is to get the tie rod and drag link as close to parallel as possible. The greater the angle between the two, the worse the bump-steer. I have my drag link connected to the tie rod, but both are above the springs. There would also be an issue of exactly how to connect the drag link to the center of the tie rod. Someone out there probably has a solution, hopefully a few others will have some input.

Later,
....Mike

http://www.toy4x4.net

#4 ·
well my waggies are pretty flat so i think i could get the two fairly parralel, i was thinkin a little bracket in the tierod and i could even raise it a couple of inches to make the angle less, or would there be too much sheer force on raised type bracket??

#5 ·
Jack Alford went through this whole thought process back
in 1997 before he did his crossover and was looking at
various ways of running the links. With the way the Toy leaves
mount you have to go s-link as David mentioned....
not good, or pull the attach point further to the driver side
of the passenger leaf. This makes the draglink angle way too
steep for the height of lift we typically run.

Jay

#7 ·
ROKTOY said:
Jack Alford went through this whole thought process back
in 1997 before he did his crossover and was looking at
various ways of running the links. With the way the Toy leaves
mount you have to go s-link as David mentioned....
not good, or pull the attach point further to the driver side
of the passenger leaf. This makes the draglink angle way too
steep for the height of lift we typically run.

Jay
Agree with Jay - Jack did a TON of research and trial/error on this (I still have his original draglink w/ the angle iron welded to it for strength). It's not worth trying to reinvent the wheel again to save some $$.

Reminds me... how many people really remember the fact that Jack was (the FIRST?) guy to document this swap on-line and make it popular??? Should have patented the idea, Jack! :) :)

#11 ·
rockota said:

Reminds me... how many people really remember the fact that Jack was (the FIRST?) guy to document this swap on-line and make it popular??? Should have patented the idea, Jack! :) :)

Want me to scan pictures I have burried in the shop somwhere of his truck back when it was bone stock and he had just gotten it? ;)

There is still an old article on Off-road.com you know ;)

http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/travels/sherwood.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.