Pirate 4x4 banner

Bling-Bling

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  0ILBURNER 
#1 ·
After 9 LONG weeks of waiting, my new "shortie" Toy arms from OTT have Finally arrived :grinpimp:

See less See more
#3 ·
With Toy axles under a Samurai & using Toy IFS box, you can't move the box forward enough to clear standard hysteer arms (unless you come clear through the front sheetmetal & extend the frame rail)

#5 ·
rockota said:

I might actually go back to hy-steer if OTT starts mass producing these!
IF is the operative word! When I called Rick to bitch at him at how long it was taking, he told me another person had waited a couple more weeks longer than I have! :rolleyes:
There just isn't enough orders yet for them to make bunches of them - hopefully they will, tho.

#6 ·
Brian,

Can you go into more detail in your thoughts above....I don't quite understand the physics of what you're talking about. I'm trying to picture both setups in my head, and can't seem to see the difference in reaction times that you mention would be involved.

thanks,
Max

#7 ·
I have those exact arms on my cruiser and have for going on 2 years now. Shortens up the steering a bit.
Also you will have a bit harder time steering due to the lever effect.. However it really is not that big of a deal.

Now if you want to goto Hydro steering you will have to get a nice ram. 4" strokes are not easy to find. I had mine custom made.

#12 ·
Jason M said:
I have those exact arms on my cruiser and have for going on 2 years now. Shortens up the steering a bit.
Also you will have a bit harder time steering due to the lever effect.. However it really is not that big of a deal.

Now if you want to goto Hydro steering you will have to get a nice ram. 4" strokes are not easy to find. I had mine custom made.

I wonder if you can get a 4" ram from Howe. Here is a 2" bore x 4.5" stroke.

#13 ·
Nice,
Anyone can make you anything. And I am sure that Howe could make a ram. for my purposes it was $160 for a 1.5x4" ram that was made exactly to my specifications from Bailey.

#14 ·
Ishikawa said:
Brian,

Can you go into more detail in your thoughts above....I don't quite understand the physics of what you're talking about. I'm trying to picture both setups in my head, and can't seem to see the difference in reaction times that you mention would be involved.
I don't have any pics I can post - but if you look at the various hy-steer setups - specifically the pass-side arm, you'll notice that the arm is longer than the factory arm on that side. The holes for the tie-rod are about the same distance from the axle centerline as stock, but the draglink attachment is in FRONT of the tie-rod attachment - which means (using geometry here) that the draglink needs to travel FARTHER than the tie-rod for any amount of turning.

In my case, I ran the All-pro Hy-steer for about a year. I traded off for a regular cross-over w/ an Aqualu double arm. The distance from the center line of the axle to the dragling and tie-rod attachment points are much different. The Draglink has a SHORTER distance from the centerline of the axle than the tie-rod. Given that, the steering wheel has to turn less for a given amount of tire-turn than on hy-steer. I'm very happy with this setup on and off road - but miss having the tie-rod out of the rocks (though with the Rock-rod from Rockstomper, it's probably not an issue).

Anyway, with the "shorty" arms, the draglink attachment point should be similar (in distance from centerline of axle) to the Aqualu steup I'm running now...

I think that made sense... maybe not. :) :)

#15 ·
Update

Got the arms on this weekend, and everything looks good. I didn't have to shorten the drag link - only adjust it in a turn or 2. Shortened my tie rod & my pitman arm looks as though it will clear the tie rod fine :D Can't say how much of a relief it is to have the rig mobile again!

All I gotta do is finish the driver's side shock mount (hopefully this week) and I'll be good to go :grinpimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.