Pirate 4x4 banner

newly welded 3rd member questions

767 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  JamisonWorkshop 
#1 ·
1989 4cyl 4runner, 30 inch general grabber ap's, stock.

I founda cheap 3rd member and I welded it up, stuck it in today, DAMN.
is it supposed to feel like im dragging something? especaily in a un-powered turn, it doesnt coast so good!

I cant wait to get it offroad, going to Disney,OK this weekend, and I did this to hopefully keep from getting winched the entire time, and also because im unemployed, and didnt have much to do.

I checked air pressure in tires and 30 in one, and 32 in other, Ill equalize that and see how the chirp is then, it seemed pretty bad before, But now I understand what everyon has said about give it gas in a turn, thats counter intuative but it quiets it down.

I welded with a stick, and 7018 rod, welded the 8 places where the gears mesh, then on each gear made (2) 1/2 inch tacks to the carrier case, then cit some 1/4" plate in a rectangle, laid it over the gears, welded it to each tooth, and tacked the corners to teh case.

It was a BEAR getting all those BBs out, thats the last time I welded one with a Stick I think.

I plan to change the diff oil a few times, and it has a magnet on the drain plug, so hopefully that will get the BBS.

now my big concern, is there any way to know how long its goingto holdup?
IM taking my 5 year old son with me to Disney Sat, and its a 1.5 hour drive, Id rather not break down!

if I drive around town and burn the crap out of my tires, am I testing it, r weakening it?

thanks for listening, sorry its soo long.

See less See more
#2 ·
ozarkjeep said:

now my big concern, is there any way to know how long its goingto holdup?
My head hurts after reading that. I've welded one with 7018 and atleast 4 more with mig and none have broke. If you did it right, it will be stronger than the gears. If you were stingy with the heat and rod, who knows. Got any pics?

#3 ·
Re: Re: newly welded 3rd member questions

Clifton said:

My head hurts after reading that.
im gonna have to agree:bounce:

i have had a welded rear-end in my truck for about 3 years now and haven't had a bit of trouble from it..welded mine up with a mig.. some say it doesn't matter,but i seem to think that it robs power from the motor( instead of turning just 1 tire,your turning both) just my $.1/2;)

#5 ·
cool, glad to know its all normal.

sorry I made your head hurt, wuss!

I wasnt stingy with rod, or heat, so if the shafts can take it,i think im good to go.

thanks for the validation guys!

#7 ·
I dont mind the chirping at all. The only thing that makes me :mad: is when like going up a curved hill at around 45 at you are giving it all she has got to make it up, and it is lagging so much from the resistance of the inside tire. Does rob a good bit of power in that situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.