Pirate 4x4 banner

need toy smog expert sac/grass valley area

971 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Coop 50 
#1 ·
i am pulling my hair out trying to get this thing to pass smog new 02 sensor and tps but i need someone that knows toy smog .
any leads would be awesome
85 efi

alan

#2 ·
i don't have any real advice except that i read a thread last week i think and there was a guy that said the aftermarket o2 sensors are bunk. he said to only run oem o2 sensors. i'll try and find the thread and when i do i'll edit this with it.

#5 ·
We need to know what is failing. If it runs decent the only problems I have had are with the cat and the egr valve (the valve itself and/or the vacuum lines going to it.)

#6 ·
Is your test just a sniffer test? Or does it include a dyno run? Dyno's are a bit harder to pass...

As one mechanic told me (and it works) a brand new cat on just about any running vehicle will pass every time.

Some hints....

CATS work best when they are warm, most mechanics suggest driving 100 miles or at least 30 minutes on the freeway to reach proper operating temps for the CAT. So make an appointment and do everything possible to get there just after a nice warm up run.

I've heard but have never tried, adding alcohol (like rubbing alcohol) to your gas will make it pass any smog test. However it will also dry up rubber gas lines so make sure you have a nearly empty tank before adding. Then fill up right afterwards to dilute it as much as possible.

After my last smog ordeal I have reserved a CAT just for passing smog. My old is fine has plenty of material left but wont allow my truck to pass. So when smog time comes I just bolt the Reserved one. This does require that you keep your CAT bolt in and not let some muffler shop weld it in....But well worth the trouble if you ask me....

Last but not least a vehicle that doesnt pass smog isnt running right and your gas mileage is suffering because of it. Also your kids might grow to have lung cancer thanks to you :)....

Oh...and lower octane gas burnes easier, so dont buy SUPER unleaded....its a waste./..

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.