Pirate 4x4 banner

fj80 rear coil swap

8K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  AZDave 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone swapped in fj80 rear coils springs into their 4runner w/ rear coils? My '90 4runner has rear coils w/ 4" of lift. They are not very good for hauling heavy loads. I was just wondering if swapping in some fj80 coils would give me about the same lift that I already have in addition to being stiffer. (I couldn't find that much info on rear coil swaps)

#8 ·
Oreo said:

Where did your brother get the 7" lifted fj80 coils from?(I wonder if there is a place online where I can find longer rear fj80 oils)
give any spring manufacturer a call

give them your specs, ratings, car weight and so forth, tell them what you are after and they can make them EASY

FJ80 coils from standard to 8" are pretty much off the shelf over here :flipoff2: :eek: (not legal above 2" but its not illegal to sell them)

#9 ·
What I also wanted to know was what lift will stock fj80 rear springs give me if I put them in the rear of my '90 runner. I have heard three different things from three different people: "they give you 0" of lift," "they give you 3" of lift," and "they give you 5" of lift." I just want to know how much lift in the rear stock springs from an fj80 would give me EXACTLY. Anyone know?

Thanks

#10 ·
BJ On Roids said:

give any spring manufacturer a call

give them your specs, ratings, car weight and so forth, tell them what you are after and they can make them EASY

FJ80 coils from standard to 8" are pretty much off the shelf over here :flipoff2: :eek: (not legal above 2" but its not illegal to sell them)

same theroy there for tyres BJ.,

NICK

#11 ·
Oreo said:
What I also wanted to know was what lift will stock fj80 rear springs give me if I put them in the rear of my '90 runner. I have heard three different things from three different people: "they give you 0" of lift," "they give you 3" of lift," and "they give you 5" of lift." I just want to know how much lift in the rear stock springs from an fj80 would give me EXACTLY. Anyone know?

Thanks
Weeeelll, maybe this will help?? I have stock FJ80 FRONT suspension installed on my 86 4-Runner, the stock springs sit 3 - 4" higher under the weight of the runner with 22RTE and a 9k winch on the nose. FYI, there are several different height springs for the 80, depends on engine, etc. (they vary by .5 on my truck). Find some springs and try em'!

Brian

#12 ·
Bjowett said:

Weeeelll, maybe this will help?? I have stock FJ80 FRONT suspension installed on my 86 4-Runner, the stock springs sit 3 - 4" higher under the weight of the runner with 22RTE and a 9k winch on the nose. FYI, there are several different height springs for the 80, depends on engine, etc. (they vary by .5 on my truck). Find some springs and try em'!

Brian

so i was right in saying 5 inch, given the rear is lighter.

NICK

#14 ·
http://www.allprooffroad.com/used.html

down the bottom of the page, they are asking 1000 but if i remember rightly this was 2000 and has been for sale for about 2 years, should try your luck and you might get it cheap.

Look at it, i think it is a bundera or bj70 cruiser and they make a realitively easy swap into a hilux as there chassis are almost identicle and the use hilux running gear.

It also has a rear steer in cross over format so you wouldnt need histeer and it is HP so it will have 4.88, plus you get all the mounts etc. Really that is cheap for 1000 if you think histeer will cost you about 500, and HP about 200 and then you would have to fab all your own mounts and other shit, the only problem i can for see is the trailing arms are too short but that is an easy fix.

NICK

#17 · (Edited)
I would try that coil setup in the front with arms similar to the Rubicon Express Extreme Kit. Not using the factory arms. Thats what I plan on doing with my Toy Zuk.
Does Rubicon Express make longer arms for fj80's? That would be perfect for the front. I love coils. I found one guy on pirate who did this swap in front. I wonder if anyone else has pics of an fj80 front swap?

#21 ·
Just finished putting them in. Standing one up next to a stock runner coil, easily around 5+/- inches difference. Though brand new 80 coils might be more before they break in. As far as lift on the runner, I was running a downey 3" kit in the rear, and it's about 2 or so inches taller than it was. The diameter is also slightly thicker than stock runner coils, and they seem to flex well.

Oreo, I have a set of chromoly control arms laying around if you want em. 20,000lb downey set, with heim joints, pretty mucha carbon copy of all pro's (pictured). never used em, if you could use em let me know.

#26 ·
Oreo said:

Because if I was going to do afront fj80 coilspring swap in the front of my runner, I would want the control arms to fit the fj80 axle I would be using. Unless you could use some other type of control arm.

would make sense to me to use something that is readily available thought out the USA

NICK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.