Pirate 4x4 banner

Doesn't Start...But Clicks Instead???

1K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Grizzled 
#1 ·
I have had trouble starting my truck a couple times recently. It just makes a single click when I turn the key. After a few times it starts fine...so it's not the batt. Is it a bad starter? Are there any tricks to installing a new one...like aligning the gears or anything?

Thanks for any info,

Justin

#9 ·
The first thing I checked was the batt conections, the grounds, and the conections to the starter. Everything seemed OK. It did start after I banged the starter w/a hammer and wiggled the small wire that has a quick-connect for the starter. I have heard that hitting it w/a hammer will sometimes help. I think I'm gonna get one from a junkyard and rebuild it, then swap them out.

Thanks for all the help guys.

#11 ·
I have an 87 that does that... whenit clicks, I just get out and tap on it lightly with whatever is handy. Lately it has been the bar you use to drop the spare tire down.. nice long reach. So.. I know it is the starter, just haven't replaced it yet. But a light tap works fine.. you don;t have to beat on it...

#12 ·
Chister said:
I have an 87 that does that... whenit clicks, I just get out and tap on it lightly with whatever is handy. Lately it has been the bar you use to drop the spare tire down.. nice long reach. So.. I know it is the starter, just haven't replaced it yet. But a light tap works fine.. you don;t have to beat on it...
It will progressively get worse as the contacts wear farther. It is a simple repair, the hardest part is removing the starter so you can work on it. W/ IFS and no body lift, it is a little hard to get it out, with a V6 it is even harder, but it can be done. A new set of contacts is under $20, and probably take 10 minutes to install once the starter is out. A far less expensive option than getting a rebuilt starter of unknown origin:

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

#13 ·
I agree I would not use the hammer method any longer then I had to, cuz It's gonna give up completely and strand you.

I ignored my alternator brushes in much the same way and it ended up finally quitting half way across the state. was not real fun getting home.... :D

#14 ·
ok.. i'm lost... got the 4runner less than a yyear ago. it had a crappy Advanced auot starter on there.. it started acting up so i went to a boch starter... it started to do the same thing... so i got another boch.. same deal:

every once in a while it clicks while tringing to start it. i can tap it with a hammer while getting someone to turn the key.
also i can tap on the break quickl;y and turn the key back and forth until something catches and it starts right up..... have checked replaced battery cables. and everything is connected tight!

is there somewhere else that the electrical system could be falling going to the starter??

#15 ·
The V6 is especially likely to go bad because it's too close to the exhaust manifold. I bet those of you that have V6s and starter problems find it gets worse as you drive (as the engine get's hot). I've gone through 3 in the last 3 years, I just got the unlimited warantey cheapo one from PepBoys, and called it good. You become an expert at pulling those things with the V6, I use 15 inches of extensions and a wobble, and go from the front below the bumper :D

#16 ·
ya i dont have the v6.. just my trusty ol 22re. it does it when the engine is hot or cold... if its 100 outside or 2 below!
i'm on my 4th starter in 9 months... do i'm pretty handy with gettin it on and off too... not only for replacement but to check the selinod/plunger, and to get to my fuel filter...

any thing i should try that i havent yet? thanks!

#18 ·
This must be whats happenin to my starter

when cold I will crank the starter and release key and the starter will continue to crank, I gotta turn key to OFF position to stop the crankin, I took off key gizzmo and steering colum plastic and lubed up everything real good with wd-40 and it still acted up, I justa bout given up on it, it only does it when it is cold outside, summer time no problems, I've developed a pretty good technic for startin the thing, crank it, let it crank and turn key to off position quickly, then crank it again and it starts real fast and starter does not act up.

#19 ·
mine was and does this once in a while,
the 4runner wouldnt kick the starter right after the rebuild.
so i pulled it out and jumped it straight to the battery,
after a few good jolts, it let go and started working right.
put her back in and fired the runners new heart on the first spin.
on my pickup i can normally turn the key a few times or just hit the right spot in the switch to get it to kick out.
i havent really found a real pattern on what makes them do that.
my first starter in the pickup, i replaced those contacts and it was still doing it, now that i look back it was probably a combo of the battery wires and the contacts since they were fawked.

but anyway good luck

#20 ·
speeedracer said:
This must be whats happenin to my starter

when cold I will crank the starter and release key and the starter will continue to crank, I gotta turn key to OFF position to stop the crankin, I took off key gizzmo and steering colum plastic and lubed up everything real good with wd-40 and it still acted up, I justa bout given up on it, it only does it when it is cold outside, summer time no problems, I've developed a pretty good technic for startin the thing, crank it, let it crank and turn key to off position quickly, then crank it again and it starts real fast and starter does not act up.
Prob just grease in it, so when its cold its stiff. Clean it with gas, it breaks down oil very well. Just be sure its very dry when you're done.

#21 · (Edited)
I was having the same problem and just took care of it Saturday. I went ahead and tore down/cleaned the whole starter and selonoid....... but the problem was the copper selonoid contacts being worn down. This was on an Isuzu, but I believe the starters are made by the same company (Denso) and use the same kind of contacts.

2 new copper contacts from a local alt/starter rebuild shop: $2
can of automotive electrical component cleaner: $3.99
having my truck start like its brand new: priceless:flipoff2:
________
VAPIR NO2 VAPORIZER

#22 ·
Thanks SR5 for the tip, What was weird the other day it got cold out and I went to do the ole start turn key off trick again and the thing cranked and listened for it to comtinue when I let the key come back to RUN position and it continued for a second then stopped on it's own with a weird noise like a clunk at the end, I sat there for a second and thought man that was a weird sound, never heard that one before, and the starter has not acted up again since, I don't know what has happened, another one of those "oh I guess it fixed itself things" Anyway I did look and feel if the starter bolts are tight and they are, so I'm gonna just see what it's gonna do and if it starts to F up again I will pull it and clean and re-build it while I have it out. I know cables are makin good connection cause I just put battery in bed and ran new welding cable and new connections and this problem has been going on for 2 years now, it only does it at cold temps is why I haven't bothered.

#24 ·
JRUSSELL:

Do you have an alarm installed?

I had the EXACT same problem. Thought it was solenoid contacts. Pulled out the starter and replaced the contacts, put it back in - same thing.

Turned out to be a short in the wiring of the alarm, just under the steering wheel. It's REALLY simple to doublecheck - just pull off the underdash cover, and get to the wires that run from the key out. It's the black one, should be tapped to the alarm, and I'll bet that whoever did it has some tape or something on there, that's letting it touch metal. I redid the connections legit myself, and it worked perfect from then on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.