Pirate 4x4 banner

AOR's Drop Torque Arm...

890 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Overkiller 
#1 ·
Does anyone here use the AOR drop torque arm with a 3-5" lift installed? I'm getting some serious brake-steer and a custom arm is $250-300 to have made, but AOR's is only $90. I'm wandering if the arm is going to limit the flex at all? I was told that any arm using the factory mounts is going to limit flex severely...Is this true?:confused:

Thanks,

Justin

#3 ·
Oh yeah! It swerves to the right when I hit the brake and hold the wheel straight. I have to correct the wheel everytime I hit the brake. AOR says their arm eliminates brake-steer. I just don't want something that's going to limit my flex up front.

#6 ·
TTURokToy said:

That won't fix it. Mine still dives when i hit the brakes. Gonna build a traction bar to the front.
That is just Band-Aid fix, you really want to fix it go X-over steering and you will not have tom worry about breaking the J-arm:D

#9 ·
It's caused by axle wrap. Axle wrap makes your stock drag link act like the torque rod when it's missing. Since the axle is twisting forward, and your holding the wheel straight, the drag link is pushing back on the J arm, causing your wheels to turn to the right.

In cross over steering the drag link is parrallel to the axle, so the twisting of the axle doesn't cause steering issues. There may still be a pull to the left in hard braking, but it's very slight compared to the stock steering.

As far as the nose dive that TTURokToy is talking about, that's due to soft springs, or shackle angle, not Cross over steering, but it's also caused by axle wrap.

#10 ·
Do you think that the AOR torque arm would help until I get crossoever? I have called them 3 times and left 2 messages, but can not get a hold of anyone to even ask about it or order it!:shaking:

#11 ·
Find someone to modify your original one for you, and save your money to buy a cross over. If you shop around, you don't have to buy a complete system all at once. Just gather the parts, and when you have them all, install it.

#12 ·
Ok Noob,
The "AOR" torque arm is really a Rancho unit by the looks of it. I had one on my '85 4Runner and it licked ass. It seriously impeded suspension movement but prevented brake steer. The poor arm was in such a bind trying to flex that the 3/4" Heim joint snapped. After it broke I had a lot of brake steer and a lot more flex. I learned to anticipate the brake steer. I put crossover on my '81 and it has no brakesteer what so ever. If you cant deal with the brakesteer take your stock torque arm and mod it so it can either accomidate your flex or be disconnected off road. Good Luck
Travis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.