Pirate 4x4 banner

I wanna know........

951 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  MuddMachine 
#1 ·
Would any of you swap out ur Toy diffs for D44's ? If so, may i ask why ?

#4 ·
heres some good info from a thread from the other day.

Chris Geiger said:
I have seen hundreds of failed axles over the years and I have a pretty good idea of what they can take. In the last month I have seen both CTM's and LongFields fail. From what I have seen I would have to say the CTM/Warn setup is stronger than any combo of Birfields and heavy duty axles you want to put up next to it. The 44 joint also has a tighter turning radius.

#7 ·
width is the only plus of that swap... drive right stay off the go juice and all is good on toy axels and you get better gc too...:flipoff2:

#8 ·
Okay, at this point, I'd take what I can get, as long as it's not IFS. I'm armchair quarterbacking at this point.

But, if I was one of God's Chosen People and had solid axles, I don't think I'd bother to swap out my Toy axles for D44s unless I trashed my Toys and had a set of 44's laying around and wanted some extra width.

Otherwise, it seems like a lot of work for not a lot of upgrade.

#9 ·
What's easier to work on ? Im used to this birfield type stuff. I also like the way they seal. I havent serviced my zook in 2 years and i see lots of water and mud where im from, but recently i flat towed it fir 1.5 hrs and all bearing areas, front hubs, rear axles too were not at all warm. I know most ppl here are in a dry environment but would anybody disagree with me sayin Toy diffs seal way better ? And whats the weight difference ?

#10 ·
The toy axle has become a very viable axle for rock crawling in lightweight rigs. Would I swap mine out for a dana 44 ? No way!,custom high pinion, high clearance 60 front possibly if a v8 or bigger than 38.5 in tires were in the cards.

#11 ·
Titanium said:
Would any of you swap out ur Toy diffs for D44's ? If so, may i ask why ?
Why!! Unless that is what you, have. Stock D44 to stock Toyota are about the same in strength. The D44 is easier to work on, on the trail.

#12 ·
dana is easier to take apart, there are less small parts. spare u-joints are easier/cheaper to get. High strength parts are easier to find. you get increased turning radius as well.

Dana 44 axles are easier to find too. They are a dime a dozen around my area.... Hell I got two for free so far :D

Would I swap out a good Toyota front axle for a Dana, probably not, but I am converting from IFS, so it seems like a good idea...

On the downside, the ground clearance is worse at the diff, and there is no removable third....

#13 ·
I like the turning radius of the few rigs i have seen with full width. In my opinion if you are going full width you might as well do it right the first time and go with the 60's, i think those are worth the extra trouble

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.