Pirate 4x4 banner

Another Martack ?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  GETMRUTN 
#1 ·
After reading all the previous posts in ref to the martack, I did the grease thing and no luck. The grease was not making a good enough mark so did the paint thing, still no luck. I then just made a tack at 1.5" and tried it there. Not enough, so I just kept moving the tack up until the seal sat center on the machined portion of the shaft. This put me at 1 3/16 of sline inside the detroit. I used a stock birf to see if it would go in and, it would not go in enough to put the spindle in??? Do I need to just give it a wack to set it into the third? Is 1 3/16 of an inch about the right distance to martack the inners for a detroit? Thise of you who running detroits, is this about the same measurement for you as well and are you or did you have the problem with the spidal not going on?

#4 ·
I talked to bobby last week and he said if your using used axles put the tack on about 4 of the splines in a row, strike the arc once and put it at the edge of the wear pattern. the only problem is when you are using new axles w/o the wear.

#5 ·
Had the same problem with my 60 series LC. It need to go on the back end of the splines closer to 1.5". I thought the same as you, but could not get the spindles on. After grinding and redoing a couple of time it was far enough back to get the spindle on. It does look like the axle is not seating on the seal, but everyone else says it does. Good luck...

-Darius

#6 ·
trd55 said:
Had the same problem with my 60 series LC. It need to go on the back end of the splines closer to 1.5". I thought the same as you, but could not get the spindles on. After grinding and redoing a couple of time it was far enough back to get the spindle on. It does look like the axle is not seating on the seal, but everyone else says it does.
When my axles were first martacked, they started leaking oil after about a few months. They were tacked at 1.5" and this was too deep. That's where I set the depth to keep the seal on the flats. You can kind of feel when the seal slips off the end of the flat area.

#7 ·
I went back out and did them again last night and ended up with having the martack on the short side just over an inch of sline inside the detroit. The long side had a bit more, about 1 1/4. It took some work getting the axles to go all the way in with the birfs on but they went on. I hope it is the same with the superbirfs. What are some of the measurements for martacking the short side.

Mine are 1 1/8" on short side with Detroit
and 1 1/4" on the long side. The machined part of the shaft isright even with the seal sitting on the edge of the outter portion.

Thanks for your input and help.

#8 ·
GETMRUTN said:
What are some of the measurements for martacking the short side?
I've never understood why people want this measurement from someone else? It's kinda like setting up a ring and pinion by getting the shim thickness from someone else with a toyota axle. There's just too much to account for with any certainty.

We tried the paint and the grease. Then I gave up and just put a tack in one spot, slid it in, pulled it out, and put a tack a little further in. 3rd try was spot on on both sides. Then I took it back out and tacked it in 4 places around the shaft - heard of 1 or 2 tacks wearing through after a while.

#9 ·
I don't think that the measurement would or will be the same but with for the guys running the same locker will have close to the same measurements. I don't think that Toyota made the axles different. I would even bet that we who run detroits in front have close to the same within an 8th inch and if you center the seal on the portion of the shaft it would not matter.
I was not looking for a specific number but something to gauge by to give me some comfort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.