Pirate 4x4 banner

IFS CV clearincing?

2K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  ErikB 
#1 ·
Looking for a how to on this one, since I got about an inch of droop left if that in mine...

I'll probably figure it out when I get it apart but looking for hint/tips etc. Also, anyone know what Jesse charges to do this, I am not exactly full of extra time :(

#7 ·
I clearanced one a few years back. It was kind of a chore, but I get more travel from it now than a pre IFS cv does. Once it is apart you will see a pin in the middle that rides in a ball socket. The area around this needs to be turned down, or carefully ground out.

#12 ·
IIRC, he used to say $30, but 1) that might have been if you were getting other work done @ the same time, and 2) maybe he's sick of doing it and has decided to charge more since then?

Do a search in here and General and he has given a few tips in the past. :)

#16 ·
I sent mine out to him. Said mine didnt need clearancing.

From what I gathered it all depends, mine from a 94 didnt need it, some do,

Whatever he says goes. saved me some money and it has the angle needed. Check it out first.

but Brandons looks like it needs it.

#19 ·
I did one for Eight today & took some pics. I'll do a complete writeup later.

'85 CV on the left, clearanced '91 CV in the middle, stock IFS cv on the right.

The '85 and the clearanced '91 both measured about 35 degrees (even though they look a little different in the picture). The stock IFS one measured about 20 degrees.

Attachments

#23 ·
clear some room in the center piece for the zerk to move too or it will hit and get crushed. Just remember to put the clearanced spot where the zerk is when you put it back together.

Attachments

#24 ·
would there even be a point in clearancing an 85 c/v? also, is there a place to get new needle bearings for a 90 c/v?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.