Pirate 4x4 banner

Short Bed Drive Line in a LB with a Crawler

636 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  crazyj 
#1 ·
Installed a Dual Tcase setup in my LongBed this weekend and while measuring my distance from yoke to yoke to have my Drive Lines modified I noticed that the numbers seemed pretty close to what my old stock short bed Drive line was before I shortened it for its crawler. And that I had a spare for that truck in the rafters. Pulled the driveline down set the slip yoke at where it looked like it had been running while it was on the old truck and measured it at 49 1/2", then measured the LB driveline at where it ran at and it measured out at 57". measured the marlin plate and the hi/low box and that measured at 6 1/2"(exactly what marlin said it would) and came up with that my driveline would only have to come out 1" . So I bolted it in and made a mark on where it sat. Took the DL out and measured how much I had left before it came free of the splines. I have 3.25" .

My question is, is this enough spline to run on and have a little peace of mind while on the trail, or am I looking for disaster?

#3 ·
Yeah it is $50 for a shortbed Drivline to be shortened. 79-83 Long Bed drivelines have a Taper to them. The immediately expand from yaoke and then taper down all the way to the front yoke. A driveline shop has to replace all tubing with standard tube to shorten.

#4 · (Edited)
I have a shortbed driveshaft in my longbed but have a 2.5" spacer in there too. It was too short for me with the dual cases. How much lift do you have in your truck? Mine has about 4" and 2" drivetrain lift. Maybe that is the difference? They do get longer on compression and shorter with droop so take that into consideration. ( I fixed that, said it backwards before. Sorry)
See the Taco driveshaft thread I just put back ttt. Maybe 98Taco can help us out.
My driveshaft is borrowed from Cracker and I probably ought to give it back... :)

#5 ·
I have 4" Blocks and 1 1/2" shackles. Somewhere around 5" . We hooked the ol HiLift and jacked the rear up. At full flex the driveline actually got shorter yoke to yoke. Was talking to Marlin about it and he said since the rear springs are fixed in the front they actually do get shorter under drop and are at there longest at the point directly in a styraight line away from the Tcase. I don't know. The driveline I put in came off of a shortbed I had a while ago. It was one that had the tube replace(why I do not know) the truck was stock height and drivetrain. But I have no drivetrain lift. (upgrading accounnt today will post a pic later).

#6 · (Edited)
id say 3.25" is plenty. as p/w stated, the rear shaft gets shorter when the susp droops. id actually check that the shaft isnt bottoming out under full droop. i didnt have that much overlap and all i did to use a swb shaft in my lwb is convert to the newer, longer yoke ears. i gained 1 1/8" by doing three that you can change. its worked without them, but was running at its max extension. i did whatever i could to run an unmodified shaft so that it could be easily repaced in an emergency situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.