Pirate 4x4 banner

Toy removable doors...

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  TNToy 
#1 ·
Gonna do something a lil diff, instead of half doors since this is my DD and the weather around here isn't exactly perfect...

I'm gonna nab some all-thread or studs, cut them the same lenght as a factory bolt, thread them into the door and loctite them in, then use nuts to attatch them to the hinges and use a flat ratchet to remove them when i feel the need...I'll post some pics of it soon...

Maybe its already been done but i can't remember seeing it.

#2 ·
I tried that................ only the lock tight didnt stay tight. So I "opened" thdoor pannel and put bolts in through the back side...

I ended up using wing nuts in stead of nuts, it goes pretty quick.

But you could always search and see what others have done ;)

#3 ·
What color lock tight did you use? If you were to use Red i don't believe they would come out easily...

#6 ·
Snake47720 said:
Maybe its already been done but i can't remember seeing it.
I started a thread on making removeable doors a while back: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46555

Here's the route I went. It cost me six dollars. I carry a 12MM ratcheting box wrench ($6 from Sears) in the glove box. Prefect fix on the bolts without rounding them off... a non-ratcheting type tends to twist sideways and round off the bolt slightly with each use. Then you just do what's in the pic. It lets you loosen both bolts 2-3 turns and pull the door right off.

Attachments

#7 ·
I cut out the center pin and put in hitch pins. I don't have any slop. They came out great.
As for having a hard time putting them on by your self, I think any way you go you'll still have to fight it a little.
I can pull mine off and put them back on with no tools and by my self.
IMO I would cut out your center pins and replace them with hitch pins. Cost $10-$15 from McMaster-Carr.

#10 ·
quadrunner said:
I cut out the center pin and put in hitch pins. I don't have any slop. They came out great.
As for having a hard time putting them on by your self, I think any way you go you'll still have to fight it a little.
I can pull mine off and put them back on with no tools and by my self.
IMO I would cut out your center pins and replace them with hitch pins. Cost $10-$15 from McMaster-Carr.
I did the same thing, the 5/16" hitch pins were $.89 each at the local True Value.

#11 · (Edited)
Do you have to do any drilling of the opening to get the pins in.

I wonder because with my snorkel on the driverside I cant easily take the fender off to get enough room in their to do the work.

Looks like just barely enough to cut the pin out. And I would really like to make them removable.

TNToy your method looks quite simple as well. I know you had the snorkel on yours, did you have to take the fender off to get that done.

#12 ·
JamisonWorkshop said:
TNToy your method looks quite simple as well. I know you had the snorkel on yours, did you have to take the fender off to get that done.
I actually took the snorkel off long ago. Kept bending it on the trail, and I haven't crossed any deep water in so long it seemed pointless.

Anyway, no I didn't pull the fenders. Used an air die grinder with a cutoff wheel in it and cut out the piece of metal the way I showed in the drawing. You could even fit an angle grinder in there with the fender on. If you want to cut the pin in half, pound it out, and install hitch pins, I'd pull the fender.

#13 ·
Anyway, no I didn't pull the fenders. Used an air die grinder with a cutoff wheel in it and cut out the piece of metal the way I showed in the drawing. You could even fit an angle grinder in there with the fender on. If you want to cut the pin in half, pound it out, and install hitch pins, I'd pull the fender
That hinge is the one on the door right? Is it working good for you and are you only using the top bolts, or are you putting the bottom one back in once you get the door lined up?

#15 ·
You don't even need a bolt, I cut through the pin and took off the upper half of the bracket. Tack weld the pin in place so it doesn't fall out and grind the remaining half pin to about a .25" nub. The door just sits on the nubs. I can take my doors off and put them on in 30 seconds with no tools.

I 'borrowed' this idea from 4x4Dano on the board but I'm sure others have done the same.

Dave

#16 ·
To get the pin out, remove the hinge from the door, and then just grind of one end of the pin flat, set the hinge on a deep socket and drive the pin out with a punch and a hammer.
The 5/16" hitch pin fits snug with out any other work.

#17 ·
JamisonWorkshop said:
That hinge is the one on the door right? Is it working good for you and are you only using the top bolts, or are you putting the bottom one back in once you get the door lined up?
Yup. Here's a shot of the cut hinges. This way you grab the 12mm wrench, give the bolt two turns to loosen the door, and lift it up and off the hinges.

I only run the top bolt in each hinge. Works just fine. Then you just back the bolts out most of the way, and drop it right back onto the hinges...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.