Pirate 4x4 banner

22re plastic dampeners?

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  pipefitter 
#1 ·
:mad: :mad: :confused: WTF were these dope smoking engineers thinking when they put plastic timing chain dampeners in my motor? well now i have a crankcase full of water because the chain ate a hole in the front cover behind the water pump. oh well now i am having my head redone and it will be all nice and new. fortunately i caught it in time before i scored all of my main bearings. i have a timing chain kit coming from nwor with stainless dampeners all for $144 shipped. so this is really just a community service post, for all of you new guys out there that have a 22r or re in the mid 80s vintage and later CHANGE OUT THE TIMING SET!!!!!!!!! it will only cost a couple bills to do it and will take the better part of the day but you won't wind up spending 3 grand on a new motor. if you have the plastic this will happen to you unless you routinely change your timing set:)

#5 ·
OOP'S said:
Didn't the "Death Rattle" of the timing chain tell you something was amiss!!!!!:rolleyes:

Funny-
I have over 200k on my plastic sets. Those chains are LOUD when they eat away your Aluminium insides. It takes alot of noise and alot of time to wear a hole. Did you break a guide or did it just wear through?

#6 ·
A quick FYI. The EB, DJ Rock and NWOR timing kits have D/S guide improvements only, the passenger side still remains plastic and only half of the guide solution is adressed. If the D/S guide fails the cover and crankcase fluids are at risk immediately but if the P/S guide fails you will burn the tensioner head and case the chain, this will leave you almost certainly with top end failure and this is big dollars in time and parts. I'm NOT bagging any of these companies in any way, I'm bringing up a very important piece of information only.
Consider this missing elemant when you choose your timing replacement parts. Whicever kit you choose in the end don't use plastic guides, period. Good luck.

#8 ·
i did not really have a death rattle. my pass side guide was fine. my driver side one fell apart. it looked like it just wore through. and it may have been wearing through for some time. tim@doa, i wanted your kit, i really like what you do. you have some high quality stuff, it really just came down to money. i almost just put a new plastic set in out of financial desperation. in 50,000 miles i will do a full rebuild, and then tim i will spend thousands on your parts:)

#10 ·
I had about 209K on the original timing chain (plastic guides) in my 88 pickup. I always used OEM Toyota filters and changed the oil every 3K. the only reason I changed it was because I had the head off and figured I should do it then. Moral of story...use Toyota filters and listen for the rattle at startup!

#11 ·
i have 150,000 miles on my 85 with the origianl timing chain and plastic guides. no problems no noice and i adjust my valves every 6 months and use castrol oil with ford motorcraft oil filters. no problems yet the chain is still tight and the guides are all good!

but i won't hold my breath for two long!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.