Pirate 4x4 banner

Gas tank interchangability

726 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  wheelerfreak 
#1 ·
When I was welding on the new spring mounts for the front of the rear springs, I had to drop the tank to do it. Well needless to say I fawked up the tubes from the top of the sending unit doing that. I called Toyota to price a new unit and they said it was no longer being made! So tomarrow it's off to the yards I go. What years of tanks are the same? The piece I need is the part that the in tank fuel pump mounts to, and that is screwed to the top of the tank. My truck is an 85 with the 22re, so I know I can limit my search to FI engined Toys, but do all the tanks share the same design and unit that I need? Thanks for any help, and yes I did a search.

#5 ·
Inkew 4Runners are available with two different sized tanks. I know because when I orderd a Sending unit there were two differnt ones availble. Mine was the bigger one, but I think you need an SR5 to have a bigger tank.

#6 · (Edited)
It's an 85 Toy P/U xtracab,non sr5, with the 22re, and originally came with the auto tranny(it now has a 5 speed). I thought about taking it to have it repaired but thought that might cost more than buying a used one from a junk yard. I'm kind of a cheap bastard and wanted to take the cheapest route. I'll stop and price out the repair on the way to the yards so I at least know my options. I thought that all the P/U's (84-88) had the same size tank? Oh well wouldn't be first time I was wrong. Thanks for the help.

#7 ·
they said its not available anymore? you did say the sender/metal tubes on the sender are screwed right? I've got a similar (87 instead, same orig equip tho...22re/ext cab/auto) My return line on my sender rusted through and leaked horribly (truck sat nearly 3 years.) I went to toyota and bought a brand new one for $100+tax, and this was just last week. I still have the bag if you need a part number off of it or want me to take any measurements off of my old one. There were 7 listed in the computer for my truck, i had to give them the VIN to get the right one.

#8 ·
I called up another Toyota dealer and they said they still had them for $117, apparently the first dealer was just clueless. I actually took it down to a shop that does repairs on power steering and hydraulic lines etc and they fixed it for me for $8!:) :) :) . I didn't even bother going to the junk yards after they only quoted me $8. Thanks for the replys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.