Pirate 4x4 banner

Spill the beans, Geiger....

3K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  bigdude 
#1 ·
#16 ·
Chris Geiger said:

Well it is kinda shaped like a VW motor, but your right, it has no VW parts in it at all.
Sort of like going to the all Harley Davidson Drag races, should be called the All S&S Drags:D Nice rig A-P, a bit different also!!!

#21 ·
bobjohnson said:
I don't understand. Jon owns a nice toyota fab shop, Allpro Offroad!, and has someone else, Nelson? build him a rock buggy. Why? It don't make no sense. :confused:
It's not like that at all. This is not Jon's truck. Nelson & Nelson wanted to built a cool new design rock crawler and they did. They needed some help with the design and driving so they got Jon involved.

Nelson & Nelson is just the latest shop to jump into rock crawling.

#22 ·
With the motor in back, the driveshafts turn the wrong way.
The diffs are inverted regular Ford 9" diffs, not Currie HP stuff. Corrects the driveshaft rotation issue. There's other mods to make that work reliably, and I didn't look inside the diffs, so I won't go there.

The impression I got from chatting with the guys who showed up with it (one of whom was Jon, two of whom I didn't know) was that it wasn't Jon's at all, but that he'd been recruited to drive it for Supercrawl. This could be way wrong, so, Chris, please correct me if it is.

Wow, from the pic Greg posted, it looks even farther out of square than it did in reality. I specifically remember joking with another fab shop guy, about how much grief we'd take, if either of us built something that far out of square.

What I liked most about it, was how far off-level (left to right) it sat when Jon wasn't in it, and that it set dead-level with him in it. Just says to me that it was specifically engineered around having a specific driver size/weight in it. That's taking things pretty far... and I like it.

#23 ·
Scott@Rockstomper said:
With the motor in back, the driveshafts turn the wrong way.
The diffs are inverted regular Ford 9" diffs, not Currie HP stuff. Corrects the driveshaft rotation issue. There's other mods to make that work reliably, and I didn't look inside the diffs, so I won't go there.

The impression I got from chatting with the guys who showed up with it (one of whom was Jon, two of whom I didn't know) was that it wasn't Jon's at all, but that he'd been recruited to drive it for Supercrawl. This could be way wrong, so, Chris, please correct me if it is.

Wow, from the pic Greg posted, it looks even farther out of square than it did in reality. I specifically remember joking with another fab shop guy, about how much grief we'd take, if either of us built something that far out of square.

What I liked most about it, was how far off-level (left to right) it sat when Jon wasn't in it, and that it set dead-level with him in it. Just says to me that it was specifically engineered around having a specific driver size/weight in it. That's taking things pretty far... and I like it.
The running joke is that the chassis fell off the trailer on the freeway and that is how the cage got like that.

#24 · (Edited)
Scott@Rockstomper said:

Looks like that is from the preload. Look at the shock collars?!

I could be very wrong, since I have not looked at it in person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.