Pirate 4x4 banner

Baja Claws

795 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  85toyboy 
#1 ·
Why doesn't anyone run these tires? Seems like swampers or mtr's are the tire of choice. Just curious. Does anyone have any input on the subject.

#2 ·
because they suck:flipoff2:

buddy of mine had a set of 35x15.50x15 baja claws ( well he still has them) and he flat hated them... once you get into mud, your screwed. they dont clean out worth a crap since the lugs are close together, besides they are a directional tire. he had paid over $900 for his tires and he couldn't even sell them for $550 and thats with less than 400 miles on the tires.. so that might tell ya something:) just my $.1/2

jeremy

#3 ·
You see more and more of them in the rocks at both at comps and on the trails. I Know several people who run the 37x13.50 claws who swear by them for rock crawling. Bias ply ones seem to be much better than the radials. I had the 35x13.50 bias and liked them, but went to swampers before the 37 came out when I wanted to go bigger. I am considering them for my new buggy.

#5 ·
I am running a set of bias ply 35's that I got for free, they are an experemental tire, becouse they were one of the first sets they made and they work great. I have ran them in the rocks , mud, and sand every where i go they seem to hook up very good. I just wish they were bigger!

#6 ·
i really like my 35" claws. i do agree their strength is not in the goop, but they still do quite well if you keep them going. i also recently bought a set of 35" boggers. i would much rather have the claws as an all round tire. so far the only place i like the boggers better is in the mud (duh), but i find them much more difficult to climb out of ruts with and the front likes to side sideways more. but i do have a rear spool. i think there are two main reasons that the claws make a great tire, especilly in the rocks. from what ive seen they are much more flexible then average bias-ply tires, and secondly, the sidewall lugs. when im using them on the rocks i run around 5psi and have found the lugs to be quite usefull when the tire is flattened out against a rock.
the main things going against them is the fact that they are overpriced, and not as widely distributed as swampers.

#11 ·
I talked to the MT rep last weekend and found out that MT made some of the claws with a stickier treat compound. They were specifically marketing the rock crawling crowd. Team purple from Off Road General Store runs some of the sticky 37" tires and they work awsome. I know 83 rolledtoy has a set of the 35's but the rep said there was not enough market for them so MT has decided not to continue making them. He told me the claws must be broken in before the sidewalls will flex. He recommends driving them without the valve core for about 100 yards until the tires really start to bulge, then they will work good. I have seen a few sets that didn't flex very well, so I found this "breaking in" tip to be interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.