Pirate 4x4 banner

Fitting V8 with no body lift

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  TK 
#1 ·
I want to drop a small block Chevy into a second generation 4runner. I did a V8 swap into a 1994 toyota so I am kind of familiar with this.

This time I want to do it without a body lift, because I think body lifts are :rainbow::girly::barf::shaking:

So can I fit a sbc without a body lift or major firewall modifications? I will have to do some careful measuring but I figure someone out there has tried most everything...

#5 ·
Having now owned an 83 with a 3" BL and 350 - I just don;t see how it is possible without the BL - short of moving the radiator somewhere behind the cab....

#8 ·
Well my 86 had the SBC in it with no body lift and there's even 1/4" of space between the oil pan and the pig. The only problem was the HEI covered one of the heater outlets but that was soved with the 3" body lift. I've heard you can also solve the heater hose problem by using a "optispark" distributor since they have a smaller dia.

#13 ·
HammerDown said:
Will the BFH damage anything behind the firewall? Or is there room there? How much smashing is required?
Yes, you have to move the heater back. Just remove it, do the mods then make it fit when your done.

I also had to BFH the firewall at the back of the heads and cut out my tunnel a little. Its not to hard. DOnt get to attached to your sheetmetal. Cut out whatever it takes, get the engine in position and running, then replace the sheetmetal.

#14 ·
Hey ForestCam..... that pic is before the BL, right? I'm putting a 350 in an SAS'd 86 right now, and I'm thinking I can get away with zero BL. Mine's TBI so the distributor is smaller than the HEI, hopefully avoiding the heater hose issue.

I've already chopped out the majority of the tunnel and the stereo part of the dash to clear the SM465 & shifter, so if I need to move the heater back and cut a little more tunnel it's no big deal :D

Is anyone running stock exhaust manifolds?

#15 ·
I have stock manifolds, a rams horn on the left and a regular on the right. I've been tossing around the idea of trying to get a set of the later model tubular manifolds though.
I don't think I could ever go with headers because my T-case location (NP 203). The only way headers would work for me is to route the exhaust over the top of the case.
I hate headers anyway, fawkers rust out too damn fast!:laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.