Pirate 4x4 banner

Help with fitting twin transfers please

1K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  ROKTOY 
#1 ·
I bought an Advance Adapters kit from All-Pro some time ago.

The garage is now fitting it for me & having difficulties.....

I have two transfer boxes, one is a Mk1 pre 1984 ( this is the one we've dismantled ) and the other is a Mk2 to which we're adding the split Mk1 box.

The instructions say to "remove the main gear from the output shaft and fit it to the new intermediate shaft".

Here's the problem... The Mk1's main gear seems to be part of the output shaft & refuses to move despite having had 15,000Kg ( yes - fifteen thousand kilos ) of pressure put on it. There seems to be no seam between the two, it seems to be one piece.

Is the Mk1 a one piece unit ? Should we be using a Mk2 output shaft ?

Also if the Mk2s are 2 seperate pieces how do you press a gear onto the shaft so it takes the drive forces & doesn't spin ?

Any advice, tips & tricks greatly appreciated.

PS
I'm in the UK using UK parts not that I think that matters as it's all Toy at the end of the day.

Joe

See less See more
#3 ·
SEARCH !!!!!

I tried using search & got 1 hit from a thread in August 2001 just asking about them.

How the hell did you find that ???

My search must be knackered.
Poxy thing.

Joe

#4 ·
DOGDEN II

Thanks for the link....

JKs instructions say to "Press the 6308 bearing off the 11” long factory output shaft."

Oh how we've tried (15,000 kilos) so bearing in mind I have both a Mk1 (dismantled) & Mk2 transfer boxes....

Is the Mk1 output shaft a one piece unit ?
Should we be using a Mk2 output shaft ?

Also if the Mk2s are 2 seperate pieces how do you press a gear onto the shaft so it takes the drive forces & doesn't spin ?

Any advice, tips & tricks greatly appreciated.

Joe:confused: :confused:

#8 ·
Just Plain Old English

Can someone please just answer these questions in any dialect of the Queen's English.....

Is the Mk1 output shaft a 1 piece unit ?

Is the Mk1 different to the Mk2 ?

How easy is it to press the bearing off the shaft ?

Joe

#9 ·
Ok it is not a one piece unit it can be dismantled no matter what year you have.

There are no differences between the years in the main shaft

I just pressed mine off and yes it took a whole hell of a lot of force, as stated above make sure you removed the snap ring or the bearing will not come off.

#10 ·
Maybe the confusion is that you are not trying to press any gear off, as the gear rides on a caged needle bearing and will slide right off after you press off the output shaft bearing. This bearing is held on by a snap ring. Once the snap ring is removed, you can place the shaft into a press, and by pressing down on the end of the shaft, and supporting the shaft by the main gear, which is not the little gear which is the very end of the shaft, but the big gear next to it. This will not take a whole lot of pressure to remove. The only piece of the output shaft that you are interested in is the big main gear which you will install onto your new little stubby output shaft.

Once you have the main gear on the new shaft, and put the spacer on with the little ball to hold it from spinning, and press the new bearing on after it, then you install the whole thing into the adapter plate, and put the new, very strong snap ring on the end of the new shaft. This is easy with about 4 hands, and a sweet set of snap ring pliars. I broke a set of snap on pliars doing this once. Now I place it in a press, and center the snap ring on the shaft, then apply a small amount of pressure to the snap ring via a large socket. Then I use a screwdriver and lightly tap it down into the groove.

Good luck.

#11 ·
Getting There

I'm speaking to the garage over the phone and relaying what I'm being told to this message board.

They have the bearing off the output shaft - no problem

but

not even 15 tonnes of pressure & a hammer will move the 37 tooth low range speed gear.

What we're talking about is the big gear on the shaft that the person has two fingers on in the install picture.

It just doesn't seem to want to come off the shaft and they can't see any line between the two.

What gives ?

#12 ·
AAAHHHHAAA !!!!

Ooops

Looks like they might have been looking at the wrong shaft and the wrong gear.

They're going to have another go tomorrow.

If they have anymore problems rest assured I'll be using this board.

Thanks for for your help so far & words of encouragement.

I'll keep you posted.

Joe

To Shepper - I blame the poxy American English instructions :D

#13 ·
Re: AAAHHHHAAA !!!!

Rabid Rhino said:
To Shepper - I blame the poxy American English instructions :D
Since you got them over the 'net, does that make them E-poxy instructions?

Poxy and knackered - I cant wait to use that somewhere......

Glad to have some fresh blood in here.

#14 ·
Fresh blood

Alabamatoy

We have a UK DJ that regularly phones the US on his show ( mainly garages ) to ask for help with his car cos the boot's knackered.

It's a word that constantly baffles you yanks.

Getting back to me jam-jar.... I'll let you know if it all goes titsup.
Obviously a bit worried about this gaff as it cost me best part of a pony or was it just a couple of monkeys. Either way the trouble & strife weren't to happy about it.

Cheers

Joe

#15 ·
Re: Fresh blood

Rabid Rhino said:

We have a UK DJ that regularly phones the US on his show ( mainly garages ) to ask for help with his car cos the boot's knackered.

It's a word that constantly baffles you yanks.

You think that's funny? As I understand it, some shop in the UK can't figure out how to install dual tcases! Now who's baffled?!!

#19 ·
Mickey Take

Garage still havent got back on it yet. Alleging they're gonna have a go Friday. They need a week rest after last time.

What they're saying is.....

They think they have to ghange the input shaft on the receiving t-case rather than the output on the 1st reduction box ??

If only I could find some crawler gears that worked as slow as they do ?
Nah that'd be toooo sloooow !

This was a 2 week project stared over a year ago as a stop gap as the previous 2 week project was started 4 years ago by then & all I have now for it is parts.

Joe

#21 ·
82FB - You prdicted my next question

82FB....

Thanks for that.
We'll see the breakdown & let you know.

I'll let them know it's a 2 hour job plus removal & reinstall ( I'll give them the benefit of the doubt )

Cheers for the help.

Joe

#22 · (Edited)
Hey, Joe dude. What you doing hanging around with this bunch? You mentioned your a Zuki owner yet? :flipoff2:

Don't worry 'bout them thinking you talk funny, you're lucky they can even read! :p

Good to see yah today.

I saw my first set of Superbirfs in real life! You got that axle put back together OK?

Later
Tony

:D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.