91 22re to 94 22re swap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 164113
Angry 91 22re to 94 22re swap

Hey guys, I have never done this before but I did get the mechanical side finished with few hiccups.

I began rerouting the old wire harness when it occurred to me that a few of the "91" harness connectors are different shapes. They have the same purpose just wont fit

Is it ok to cut the connectors off the "94"donor harness and splice them onto the "91"harness I am using so I can plug them up to the"94" motor. If so any particular splicing methods recommended.

Also there is a plug coming out of the back of the efi housing but my harness doesn't have a wire fore that. Should I be worried about that?

Thanks
Tynian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 49159
I tried mixxing knock sensors from different years didn't work. I drove 3 miles and my headers were glowing orange. put the correct year sensor ran bitchen after that. Moral of the story is make sure harness, sensors and ecu match.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 164113
Thanks for your reply Seabass.

Knock sensor huh. Where is that located? err the 91 didn't have one for some reason but it is located as usual on the 94 donor block.

Recon the absence of the knock sensor plus the fact that the 91 wasn't even bolted to the frame and only 2 bolts holding the tranny to the engine

had a helping hand in dislocating a rod?

the bigger question is does the old harness have a line for the knock sensor shyt!!! I have plans to restore the old 91 engine and put it in the 94 donor to resell help? I listen, If you guys got any pull let me post attachments so I can give yall a little visual on the situation.

Last edited by Tynian; 07-12-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: rewriting IS writing I will prolly rewrite this rewrite again :)
Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 162176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
I tried mixxing knock sensors from different years didn't work. I drove 3 miles and my headers were glowing orange. put the correct year sensor ran bitchen after that. Moral of the story is make sure harness, sensors and ecu match.
right on even in 94' the standard pickup ecu is different than the 94' 4x4 ecu. and 91' different than both the 94's. doesn't seem like they would be but they are. programming is the raze.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 129634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynian View Post
Hey guys, I have never done this before but I did get the mechanical side finished with few hiccups.

I began rerouting the old wire harness when it occurred to me that a few of the "91" harness connectors are different shapes. They have the same purpose just wont fit

Is it ok to cut the connectors off the "94"donor harness and splice them onto the "91"harness I am using so I can plug them up to the"94" motor. If so any particular splicing methods recommended.

Also there is a plug coming out of the back of the efi housing but my harness doesn't have a wire fore that. Should I be worried about that?

Thanks
why didn't you just swap the block and head and keep your orignal ecu and harness
FrankHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 164113
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHa View Post
why didn't you just swap the block and head and keep your orignal ecu and harness
I am still open to this option I haven't committed to anything. Is this my way out of this?

I also plan to rebuild the donor. lead me please.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
I See You

Member # 138976
Yes just swap the long blocks. Save the electrical headache.
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
Quote:

Thanks
Toyota has changed there connector designs over the years (gone more to smaller terminals and better sealing properties).

Your question is too vague until you can identify what you are working with/what component.

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 164113
Any ideas on what to do about the old motor not having a knock sensor or any knock sensor wiring that I remember. Surely the old harness has a wire in there somewhere for the sensor. Should/Can I just leave it unplugged?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 164113
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Toyota has changed there connector designs over the years (gone more to smaller terminals and better sealing properties).

Your question is too vague until you can identify what you are working with/what component.
"crash"

its the plug comming off the egr valve thats bolted to the 94 intake and the 91 is not equiped with this so I guess I have no choice but to swap it out.
Thanks for your reply

================================================== ==========

FrankHa, Provience, elephant butte, thanks for your replys you guys are awsome it is good to finally find a forum thats active and willing to help others. I signed up for the yearly subscribtion i am so impressed with this forum. You guys take it easy See yall around

Last edited by Tynian; 07-17-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 162176
Quote:
"crash"

its the plug comming off the egr valve thats bolted to the 94 intake and the 91 is not equiped with this so I guess I have no choice but to swap it out.
Thanks for your reply

================================================== ==========

FrankHa, Provience, elephant butte, thanks for your replys you guys are awsome it is good to finally find a forum thats active and willing to help others. I signed up for the yearly subscribtion i am so impressed with this forum. You guys take it easy See yall around
that so called plug is for the exhaust gas temp sensor, located at the back of the plenum. if you leave it off you will get a error code when it doesn't sense a change in exhaust gas temp when the ecu activates the vsv valve to make the egr work, if you use the 91 ecu no problem with the 94 ecu you'll get an error code "71" when driving.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 164113
Cool, Thanks elephant

I am about to start the swap on that now.

What do you think about the knock sensor? Try and find the wire for it or just leave it unplugged?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant butte View Post
that so called plug is for the exhaust gas temp sensor, located at the back of the plenum. if you leave it off you will get a error code when it doesn't sense a change in exhaust gas temp when the ecu activates the vsv valve to make the egr work, if you use the 91 ecu no problem with the 94 ecu you'll get an error code "71" when driving.
Its only there for ecm diagnostics of the EGR system and has no reference to how the rig runs. Domestics use the map sensor to run the same diagnostics on the system(non electric egrs).

Old 07-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 162176
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Its only there for ecm diagnostics of the EGR system and has no reference to how the rig runs. Domestics use the map sensor to run the same diagnostics on the system(non electric egrs).
nope won't effect how engine runs in the long run, infact he would never see a new code in the first place.....as the light would be always on so would never know if he has a new problem unless he set up a check the code thing once a month(what a hassle) ...and depending on the state he is in, he might not pass smog because the light is on. unless someone is in a positon to get away with not doing smog, it pays to have it set up right. i never recommend taking something off unless they can get away with it in the area they are in. vehicle is only 19 years old and states/cities having smog rules cover it for inspections.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 49159
If you leave the knock sensor off you won't be running any kind of corrected timing.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 162176
Quote:
Cool, Thanks elephant

I am about to start the swap on that now.

What do you think about the knock sensor? Try and find the wire for it or just leave it unplugged?
knock sensors are matched to ecu's you will need to use the 94 knock sensor for the 94 ecu, if you don't hook it up the ecu will retard the timing and you will have shitty performance issue

Last edited by elephant butte; 07-13-2010 at 03:07 PM.
elephant butte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant butte View Post
knock sensors are matched to ecu's you will need to use the 94 knock sensor for the 94 ecu, if you don't hook it up the ecu will retard the timing and you will have shitty performance issue
Are you sure about that?

Old 07-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Re-read the bold lettering.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 164113
Ok I got everything wired back as good as I can remember. I decided to leave the 94 intake in and just tackle the wiring. I think I found the knock sensor wire so I will deal with that later. Right now I just want to hear the thing start or at least try to start. So I gave it a go but click dead. Now either the battery is dead or I think I may have my grounds bolted in the wrong place cause I know the starter works.

Take a look at these pics if you will please.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 164113
Hey elephant, thanks for your pics!

The mystery plug is 2 wire, green with white stripe and either orange or red with black stripe. Maybe it connects into another leg of the harness somewhere?

On another note. I got the donor battery out and hooked it up but the starter is not budging. Wounder whats up with that? I also didn't hear the fuel pump at all.

Anyways thank you and everybody for your help. Im'a try and get some sleep yall have a good one. Hopefully hear from you guys again tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 164113
Hey elephant,

Yea the donor ran pretty good before I did the swap so I knows it will turn over.
I have the donor starter in as well since the 91 starter was cracked at the bolt housing.

I am gonna see if I can get the starter to turn over with the help of a jumper. If that don't work then like you say maybe I got it hooked up wrong.

I admit I have taken the easy way out on this one by just switching the connectors that would hook up to the new engine. The connectors I stole from the 94 harness and spliced to the 91's were:

starter plug
oil pressure plug
and the plug that sits down in between the intake and valve cover
I will buy or hopefully find new 91 knock sensor and plug

I should'nt have to change the ecu because of this? Or is this just a headache I am creating for myself and the only way to do this electrically is to swap the harness and ecu

or just swap the mechanics and leave the original wiring as is. The mechanics being intake only?

Last edited by Tynian; 07-14-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 164113
Thanks elephant,

I tried jumping the starter off but it just gives one click every time I twist the ignition all the way.

Recon I outta pull it out and test it see if its bad and if not turn the crank as you suggested to loosen things up a bit then try again?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 164113
I pulled the starter out and engaged it but no response. I got hot going to it I know.

Only thing I can think of is the splice is the problem, bad starter or relay.

Now the 94 starter is a little beefier than the 91 so the plug guage is a little thicker maybe the 91 ecu only allows a certain voltage to flow through that particular line, but otherwise it serves the same function and has same color code black with white stripe.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Quote:
I pulled the starter out and engaged it but no response. I got hot going to it I know.

Only thing I can think of is the splice is the problem, bad starter or relay.

Now the 94 starter is a little beefier than the 91 so the plug guage is a little thicker maybe the 91 ecu only allows a certain voltage to flow through that particular line, but otherwise it serves the same function and has same color code black with white stripe.
The ECU has no bearing on starter operation. The ECU/cold start injector controler does use the feed though as an input.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 164113
the battery and starter checked out at auto zone so I must have wired up something wrong shyt!! Think I could remember the wiring after 2 motor pulls... Yep its the ground at the starter duh I moved it around to another location and it tried to start. Man I hope I get this rig started today.
Neighbors keep peepin on me shyt I think I heard one of them say.... he aint never gonna get that thing started

you know one of those kinda neighbors. aight, well I'ma get back to chasin gremlins.

elephant,
if you can will you walk me through how to get the fuel pressurized cause I didn't follow you on that but I wanted too

Last edited by Tynian; 07-14-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Theres always a reason for editing