Pirate 4x4 banner

ring gear bolt locking tabs

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  85TrailToy 
#1 ·
Yes I tried the search.

Got a new set of gears and install kit or toy 8" rear and the old ring gear bolts had the locking tabs that have already been reused too many times as evident from the majority of the tabs being broke off.
So the question is do I need to get new tabs or just ditch the tabs and use locktite?
Get the tabs and use locktite?

#2 ·
I thought I heard somewhere that with an arb you can;'t ust the tabs and you have to use locktite.

Anyhow, go to the dealer and buy some new tabs you just spent money on gears, dont start being cheap now.

dustin

#5 ·
NEVER reuse the tabs. If you want the tabs, go buy new ones. A broken tab floating around in there can cause catisrophic damage. I personally just use loc-tite and torque them to 70 ft/lbs. With a few hundered setups under my belt, I have never had ring gear bolts back out.

#8 ·
yoter I thought I heard somewhere that with an arb you can;'t ust the tabs and you have to use locktite.
This is true. With an ARB set up you must use locktite

#9 ·
I have set up maybe 20 toy gear sets and never used the Tabs or Locktite and never had a bolt come loose as long as you tension them right they should never have a reason to come loose unless the bolt has been stretched.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.