Pirate 4x4 banner

Pinon questions

545 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JamisonWorkshop 
#1 ·
I have done a lot of reading about gear strength issues in a mini rear end. But I still have some questions. Do the pinion teeth or the ring teeth usually shear and why? (too much torque is not the answer by the way ;) ) It has been implied that the size difference between the 4.10 and the 5.29's is not enough to cause any real difference in strength.

Also does anyone happen to have good pics comparing the pinion of a 5.29 to a 4.10???

#4 ·
OffroadRunner said:
Mike did you get your oil leak fixed last night????? Well just for kicks When I broke mine it was the ring gear teeth the sheared off. Why? Well lets just say 33 Booger hits the gorund at about 3k rpms. Something has got to give.
I got that on video, and you can hear the bang and the grinding :D while the front wheels just sit there not moving.

#5 · (Edited)
Well I didnt get to take any pics last night. I think I sheared all but a few of the teeth off of my ring gear last night. Coincidence (I think not) . Had to start this thread huh!

Wont tear into it until tomorrow. Pinion nut came loose I believe and pinion walked.

If that is the case Flimmy this welded carrier has been threw two sets of gears failing and it is still holding up, but both pinions walked.

I have to put the 5.29 in the back now since it is the only diff I have set up. I am going to throw a spot weld on the nut this time. Not dealing with this again.

Wasn't a fun ride home 50 miles front wheel drive no rear shaft and the rear end still clicking away. :D Gotta love this stuff.

Oh and they were 4.10 . No 4wheel drive for winter. Unless i swap a 4.10 back in before the snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.