Pirate 4x4 banner

It's about frikkin time!

16K views 88 replies 25 participants last post by  2KE 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally time to SAS my 89 Toy:bounce:

I started with cutting off the rear suspension to make room for the 3/4 elip. Bottom is Chevy springs, and top is stock rear main and bottom leaves. I left the overload on the Chevy packs to help with axlewrap, and the second top leaf should help as well. If it gets bad before I build a track bar, I can just move the buggy clamp closer to the shackle (I can change my shackle angle, too).

I haven't started the front yet, but should tonight. I will have a second pair of stock 3rd gen rears with leftovers of my stock rears for AAL's. Will probably use some sort of Johnny Joint at the shackle mount.

Nice before pic

:EDIT: Yahoo keeps changing their stuff around, so the links go dead periodically. If you want to see the pics that aren't showing up, go to http://photos.yahoo.com/im4yotas, then my photos and then SAS. :/EDIT:

See less See more
#10 ·
pmurf1 said:

Maybe you need to get out more.

Leave the overloads in, they flex fine. The only thing I'd do differently is to french the front hanger into the frame. If you don't, the hanger likes to hang up and stop forward progress since it's so far forward.
if you dont french it, make a hanger that is ramped heavily, about 11-12 inches long, wont get hung as much. cut the overloads off flush with the perch in the back, and stickin out 5-6 inches in the front, compress better, and still limit wrap---brad

#11 ·
OK, I just hosted them at yahoo, so now you can actually see them.

MSB, I threw out the swaybar, cut the fenders, and shaved the bump stops. It only goes all the way to the bump stops when the front is down hill.

Here's what I did 2 nights ago:

axle off ready for sawzall

welding in the front hangar

one side down

#12 ·
Here's what's been going on in the spot next to me in the shop.

My buddy Terry who owns the place is just finishing up a body swap after rolling his 3.4 powered 85 4runner. Thank you so much Terry (he's letting me drive his 01 Tacoma while my truck is down!)

After he was able to bleed the brake and get it started, we pulled in another friend's 01 Taco for some front end work, and the whole gang showed up to help prep the 4runner for paint, or help with the Taco.

Last night I got the gas tank dropped and the driver's side hangar welded on and I'm ready to hang the axle. Spent a lot of time trying to figure out the Taco trouble. It has a torn inner CV boot, so we pulled the axle and when doing so the tripod joint came apart and needle bearings went everywhere. Tried for 3 hours to put the joint back together because Toyota doesn't make the halfshafts for parts dept. since it's too new. We gave up and took it to Drive Line Service and let them screw with it. Anybody have half shafts left over from a newer Taco SAS??

#13 ·
Was able to do a little more work. I finished the rear, minus shocks and bumpstops, and got started on the front.

How to get more travel out of your stock IFS:
driver's side is before the modification, passenger side is after

Both sides look like this right now

#14 ·
You're taking too long. Everyone knows an SAS should take 48 hours. Maybe and extra 12 since you're doing chevy rears, but still. :D

Are those still my MT/Rs in those pics? I know you had to replace two of 'em, right? They look like they've got a lot of rubber left...

#15 ·
yah, yah. I don't have the full service pit crew like you did:flipoff2: I'm doing most of it myself after a full day of work, too little sleep, and a sawzall instead of a torch. And don't forget, a minimum of one injury to myself per day:crybaby2: I also took 2 days off to work on a friends truck (mistake).

Yah, same tires. I still have the original 4. One wasn't in too good of condition, so it's the spare. I ended up buying one. It's the only one with decent tread.

When I buy my gears, I'm going to the 37" MTR's.

Mmmmmmmmm, I should probably get to work on it now.

#21 ·
There was a small fire in the shop yesterday. Here's a pic of the damage:D Notice the burnt hose. I think it goes to the bottom of my evap can. How bad is it to go without that? Should I plug it?

All cleaned up and perty!

Oh, and Mr. 2KE, Thanks for the torch and I'll give you some $$ for the brand new gloves I destroyed. This is for U

Attachments

#24 ·
Shaker said:
Looking good....You gonna do the "traditional" wagoneer axle with 4:88 gears? Looks like you got a good pace going to finish it.....Good Luck.....
No, the even more traditional Toy axle with 5.29's. Gonna run 37" MTRs for daily duties and moderate wheelin. Later when I recover financially I'll get some 38.5 SX's on beadlocks for serious trail duty.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.