Pirate 4x4 banner

3.0 V6 Warranty. How Long?

1K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  TOY 2 
#1 ·
Wondering how long the 3.0 v6 warranty campaign is?

What would cause a rod failure on one of these engines. Could possibly bad/leaky heads, lead to this kind of failure.

1993 T100/94,000 miles. 2wd auto so It is not a failure from off-roading. Hard to believe a 2wd would throw a rod, especially a auto

I am not the PO, so I have no Idea if it was from abuse or from neglect.

#3 ·
really?

roktoy,

What did the notice that you received say? I was under the impression that that campaign was pretty much over. I though that it started in 1992 or so, and gave a 5 yr or 100K extension to the engine regarding headgaskets/heads/related parts or something, so it would be pretty much completely over now...

#7 ·
thats funny, i went into toyota with my 89 V6 and asked them to look at it, and they told me sorry, not open recals on the headgaskets

#8 ·
why just a short block on a hydro locked motor? also we just installed a long block into a 89 runner and it was a real PITA but the guy paid for it all out of his own pocket, the mechanic working on it was real happy about the money he got on that job, it paid about 24 hours +/- 2 hours. :D

#10 ·
89's are for the most part not part of the recall campaign. Of course I have an 89 with a 92 short block replaced under warrantee with dealer receipts and all. So my 92 block and headgaskets should be covered but Toyota says no!!! The replacement engine is only good until the factory warrantee expires or for one year from date of replacement which ever is later. This really pisses me off. Trucks been parked for almost two years now! Been driving my other 89 with my fingers crossed for the last two years!

Jason :)

#11 ·
Well called the dealer and the young guy I talked to said nope, no warrenty... I then proceded to ask about the infamous head gasket recall... He then was like "Oh, hold on, give me your vin". Ran it and said that it was due for the gaskets, I proceded to ask then about the engine throwing the rod. Got the Service manager after that:D

He said he has never seen one that would hydrolock the engine and that most of the problems, the gasket leaks out the side of the block.

He was cool about it and said that he would have to talk to the regoinal manager about fixing/warranty it.

If whoever got a new block from toyota could post it here and the problems that occured with it, that would be great.

I got a feeling, I am going to need a little more ammo to get a block out of the dealer. Thanks

#13 ·
blew my motor last week, in my 89 with an 88 runner motor in it, there was a service bulliten about the oil passages cracking in the block and dumping all of the oil into the coolant (not both, like a head gasket). Ran my vin. Not covered. Parting the truck one year after putting in a 90K motor.
booooooo.:mad: :mad:

#14 ·
If your vehicle is under warrantee or covered by the a Toyota sponsored recall program and your engine requires replacement rather than a rebuild then you will get a short or long block as necessary. In my case I got a new 92 shortblock and 92 headgasket which I believe was of the defective design but since the recall is referenced to your VIN # my defective headgasket that has now since blown (engine never abused or overheated even after the headgasket began to leak) can not be replace under the recall even thou my original 89 headgasket which was not defective was replaced under warrantee by a defective headgasket. I have talked to customer service twice about this as they were supposed to call me back and still no dice. Toyota does not want to honor the recall gasket problem I have. I of course think they should. So many of my friends one with a 92 have gotten short blocks courtesy of the recall program. Heck I even got a recall notice but never took it in thinking my replacement engine had taken care of the problem! If my truck does not qualify why then did I get the notice!

Jason :(

#15 ·
rabid said:
blew my motor last week, in my 89 with an 88 runner motor in it, there was a service bulliten about the oil passages cracking in the block and dumping all of the oil into the coolant (not both, like a head gasket). Ran my vin. Not covered. Parting the truck one year after putting in a 90K motor.
booooooo.:mad: :mad:
I just put a motor in my 88 to fix this problem. It ran fine with oil in the coolant for 2 years btw.

DMG

#16 · (Edited)
Please keep in mind that Toyota will most likley have to open it up and determine just what caused the failure. IF it failed because of the defect and hydrolocked it (which I highly doubt) then you will get a warentee. IF it failed because you overheated it, or if the rod went because the wrist pin just gave in, then you will not be covered. All motors will just fail out of the blue sometimes. Thats what happens when you make 20 million untis of something that is super complicated and consists of thousands of peices.

#18 ·
I wish I could find it...I'm sure it will turn up as I doubt I would have thrown it away. Toyota says its just to come in do some type of check for a possible HG problem but if they have determined that 89's (and 88's? are in eligible then why send the notice. Plus I'm fairly sure a guy I used to work with had an 89 and he got a HG under warrantee.

Jason :(

#19 ·
Weigellj, a 93 T100 WILL be covered under warentee. The 3.0 head gaskets leaked internally on the number 1 and 6 cylenders. primarily #6. The 3.4 engine leaked externally. If the regional/district service mamager or the dealer service manager says no, well, your being screwed. If this does happen, simply bitch louder. Toyota's recalls on vo6's and xo1's are easy to get covered as long as the recall has not been completed already. You also need to follow up on the job as it is performed, once the heads are off for inspection of the block and heads, look for any sort of pitting or deformation within the combustion chamber. if there is, new heads and/or block will be in order. since you have a rod gone, look to see if the pistons come all the way th the top of the block on engine revolution, if any do not, wow! guess what, the truck chocked on its own blood, unlike what 4-runnin claims, :rolleyes: this is a very common occurance. Bear in mind, the dealer will most likely try to upsell a couple of things, specifically water pump, idler bearings, t-belt, t-stat, and if a new block is in order, buy a damn oil pump.;) The last time I looked on the TIS on an applicable xo1 recall, there was a date upon which the recall had to be completed by. If you get the little paper in the mail that says do your damn v06 or x01, get in and get the thing taken care of!! Yes, an open campaign is world wide. Once again, if there are any problems, simply bitch a little louder. ;) Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.