Pirate 4x4 banner

Front spring hanger ?

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Speedy125 
#1 · (Edited)
I've searched around with lot's of result's on the subject but never could find a measurement. Can someone tell me what the measurement is between the two spring hangers,center to center in the stock location? I've read that this will work good for using rear's up front and need a starting point. I had it all done and the way I wanted it. Then I finished the chevies in the rear,put the tire's on, took the cinder blocks out and set it on the ground. The rear looked great but my front springs went negative. I guess the place I had it blocked up at was taking some weight off the front:mad: :mad: I think if I put the rear hanger in the right spot I can get it back the way I had it,or close to it anyway.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
http://www.allprooffroad.com/sas.html

AP says the rear hanger should be ~45" from the front of the frame, so that means there is about 43-44" between hangers.

Rear springs are longer than stock fronts (45 vs. 48), so the hangers can be farther apart if you want.

Stock rears need extra leaves added to them to be used up front too or they will sag negative since the front is much heavier than the rear.

#3 ·
Thanks Eric. I went to the A.P. site and read that first,but I wasn't sure where the factory front hanger was off the front to add that to the 45" mark. So you are saying that the center of the bolt hole of the front hanger is about 1" off the front??? Since the rear's are 3" longer I will probly start with 46 1/2" center to center,tack weld my rear hanger on and see where that put's me. Do you think that might be a good starting point?

I've got the rears plus some wrangler leafs and a 2" wrangler add a leaf to help with a little lift. One thing I liked about the wrangler 2" add a leaf is it's just as long as the leaf under my Toyota mill wrap leaf. You can deafenitly feel the difference of the add a leaf and the other wranglers by stepping on them. I don't really care for the little short add a leafs,seams like they wouldn't flex cause they are so stiff

#5 ·
IIRC, the front hanger is about 2" from the front of the frame. Incontrol's info is proably right.

I didn't think of it until just now, but since you're using rear springs, you could have just copied the rear spring hanger to shackle hanger distance to give you a good starting point... ;)

#6 ·
If your running your shackles in front, you first need to figure out where your going to put your shackle hanger. If you put it in the same place as the spring hanger would go in a "stock" configuration, your axle will be too far forward to use the steering box in it's stock location. You'll have interference between you drag link / tie rod / pitman. Here's where I put mine and it's as far as I could go.

Attachments

#7 ·
BrianR said:
If your running your shackles in front, you first need to figure out where your going to put your shackle hanger. If you put it in the same place as the spring hanger would go in a "stock" configuration, your axle will be too far forward to use the steering box in it's stock location. You'll have interference between you drag link / tie rod / pitman. Here's where I put mine and it's as far as I could go.

From that picture it looks as though the Shackle hits the big chunk of Box on compression? does it? i am thinking of doing the shackles up front soon...

B.

#8 ·
greenyota said:

From that picture it looks as though the Shackle hits the big chunk of Box on compression? does it? i am thinking of doing the shackles up front soon...

B.
No, it doesn't hit. The springs are almost flat, so the shackle goes slightly forward from there on compression, but then reverses. I've gone to longer shackles since that pic, still no problems. That box is an old chevy receiver hitch I had laying around, so I flipped it upside down and welded it to the frame and welded my shackle hangers to the back of it. The top of the receiver turned out to be a good starting point for my winch mount.

#9 ·
ErikB said:
I didn't think of it until just now, but since you're using rear springs, you could have just copied the rear spring hanger to shackle hanger distance to give you a good starting point... ;)
Yeah I thought of that to but dummy me already cut the factory hangers off to make room for the chevies. O well, Thanks everyone for all the info. I've finally got it were I wanted it. I started at 46 1/2" center to center from spring hanger to shackle hanger. That was to far back,it made the shackle stand staight up. I moved it forward 1/4" at a time and at 45 1/4" it sat real nice with a 40 deg shackle

BrianR from the looks of it my shackle hanger is in the same place as yours. I wanted to go as far foward as poss without causing steering troubles. Does your's work o.k. like that?

#10 ·
I like how mine turned out. It's been through the Con 3 times with no problems (2 forward, 1 backward). The only problem I had was 1 reversal when I was testing it. So I built in some stops. Fortunately when I had the reversal, I was still running stock length shackles. It put a slight tweak in the spring, but I'm still running it (so far). With the stops I built, I haven't had a reversal since.

Attachments

#11 ·
good idea on the stoppers.If I run into a reversal problem I may try to build something simular.I'm gonna try to get some pics of my stuff.I'll post them when I get them done. No digi cam yet:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.