Pirate 4x4 banner

need help pls

732 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Nipper 
#1 ·
I just put my 22re motor together it runs great no knocks and dont smoke but it runs very rich the only thing that I have done to it is put a 272 duration cam it. My only problem is that it idles high like at 2500 to 3000 rpms. What I do know is that the tps sensor is bad so I have it disconnected. Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with my runner I am stump because I have tried everything that I could think of.

#3 ·
Nipper said:
What I do know is that the tps sensor is bad so I have it disconnected. Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with my runner I am stump because I have tried everything that I could think of.
:rolleyes: Very important part!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

#4 ·
Nipper said:
... I do know is that the tps sensor is bad so I have it disconnected. Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with my runner I am stump because I have tried everything that I could think of.
Replacing your bad TPS would be a good place to start. Geez.

It might not solve your problem but at least you will have eliminated the obvious.

hey, I've got an idea - why don't you try a SEARCH. High idle and tps come up ALOT.

Somebody else will have to flip the newbie off becuase I have javascript turned off right now.

WTF - I know I have a bad part, but I'm stumped! No wonder people are concerned about education in the USA.

#6 · (Edited)
I would not be posting if I did not do a search. I already know how you guys work. As for replaceing my tps I didnt think that I would because on my 2 other trucks I never had to replace them when they went bad. I just disconnected it and the truck for the most part ran fine. I am stuck with this high idle prob and if anybody would like to help would be nice

#7 · (Edited)
I dont have a efi toy( mines carb) but i have had this problem on both my other trucks. On my chevy the throttle body was sticking , the butterfly in the body was tweaked and the bushing it rides on was worn so it didnt close all the way and it would let the truck idle around 2500 3000 rpms i tried the tps thinking that was it but i was wrong. Dont know if it helps but its an idea. Make sure the butterfly in the throttle body is closed all the way at idle. My other truck it was a TPS Hope it helps

cody

"disconnected it and the truck for the most part ran fine"

oh yeah change the tps first :flipoff2:

#8 ·
Ok I have just took my tps off my other truck and put it on my runner It still has the high idle but when connected it doesnt rev up and down any more. It still runs rich and I also checked the the flap to see if it is shut all the way and is any other options I feel like trashing the truck.

thanks

#12 ·
thanks for the info. As for checking for vac leaks I did that last week and did not find anything. There is a idle screw and thats all the way down as for the timing its dead on. The motor is original except for the block and head thats form a celica the fuel injection is form the original motor. I cant think of any other things to check for except for the mass air flow sensor could this play a part with the idle.
thanks again

#13 ·
running rich with a high idle, throttle closes properly, tps adjusted and working, and no vacuum leaks.
My guess would be the cold start system. Is the truck getting warmed up, does the top radiator hose feel warm? Could be the sensor is bad, or maybe celicas use a different sensor that doesn't work with a truck computer. Disconnect the cold start injector and see if that helps. If it does then troubleshoot the cold start system.
Another possibility is the fuel pressure regulator might be working correctly. Too high a fuel pressure might cause high and rich idle.
The factory manual probably has a trouble shooting guide for this, but my manual is in the truck and it is raining - sorry.

#14 ·
Well I figured it out I took the plentium off the truck and replaced my injectors with the new ones on the truck ran perfect I sounded weird when somebody told me to check but anyways thanks for all of the info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.