Pirate 4x4 banner

Highest amp bolt-on alternator for 22RE???

13K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Oatmeal 
#1 ·
What is the highest amp Toyota alternator that will bolt-on the 22RE in my '85 4Runner?? Is there something in the 80-90amp range?? Thx

#4 ·
xextr3m3 said:
my alt is somewhere around there and I got it from AC Delco

edit* I dont know if it is actually a delco but i bought it at a store that sells mostly delco stuff
You don't know what the vehicle application was? I have a Trak Auto that is closing tomorrow so it has to be an OEM alt.

#5 ·
Cobb said:
i can think of a 135 amp alt from Alterstart. the e-mail i got said the part number is 14668-135a and it's $179.95+shipping. AlterStart
Good price for a 135amp. Did a search on their site and that part # doesn't show up.:confused: I'm really looking for an OEM bolt-on.

#8 ·
you want a Toyota alternator?? or you just want one that is bolt on? the alterstart alt bolts right on, no hassle. just e-mail them, and they send you the alternator with that part number.

#9 ·
I want an OEM Toyota unit if one exists. I want to go to Trak Auto and ask for an alternator for 'X' vehicle. If I can't get something tomorrow I'll check out Alterstart.

#12 ·
flimmy said:
Frank, search mr2 to find out the year but I think it's an 89. I think they had 100 amp or so and bolt up to the 22r & re .
Fawkin' Ay! That's what I'm looking for!:beer:

*why the hell does a tiny MR2 need that much juice?

#15 ·
toydawg85 said:

That page says its for the 3.0L; are you sure it bolts up to a 22re?????
The 3.0 unit looks the same as the one on the 22RE. Only problem, Autozone wants $329 for it.:eek: Even 1/2 price at Trak it would $165. Alterstart has that 135amp for $179 and it's a bolt-on AFAIK.

#17 ·
Cobb said:
i can think of a 135 amp alt from Alterstart. the e-mail i got said the part number is 14668-135a and it's $179.95+shipping. AlterStart

I bought one from Alterstart for $130.00 on E-Bay about a year ago for my 4Runner. Came with a 1 year warranty, shipped from Texas. The Alternator looks exactly the same as the stock one, but heavier. Never had it load tested, but havent had a problem yet.

#19 ·
Not cheap - but Wranger Power Products NW has em too...

Modded ND alt.
I think mines 120amp

Also- hopped up amps tend to put out LESS amps at idel than stock alts.
Ya gotta rev em.

TI MAY caus problems with heavy loads (aka lights) at idle.

If its to keep a winch going - upt he idle speed or a hand throttle..

#20 · (Edited)
I got a Delco CS 130 105 amp alternator from the junkyard for $30 it looks pretty new has a test date of may 2000 on it.
I have kind of a diagram I made as a reference how to wire it to your exisiting toyota harness.

Anyways I was wondering people that have put one of these styles on a V6 what does the lower bracket you made on look like? I think the top bracket should work no problem it's just the lower one that would have to be fabbed.

#21 ·
I read somewhere that the guys that make the Mobi-Arc on board welding systems sell an upgraded stator and diode assembly that replaces the parts (simple bolt in) in your stock alternator and bumps it up to 90 amps, goes for about 60 bucks. Give em a call...........Hans

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.