Pirate 4x4 banner

Toyota overheating

641 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Arnold 
#1 · (Edited)
I got this engine with the parts truck I bought for the buildup. He said the engine was bad. A few months ago I started it up for a few seconds with no coolant and it sounded great.

Now that I have a radiator, I filled it with water and it immediately started dripping from the rear of the block, directly behind the oil pan.

Is this commonly a head gasket? or is there bigger problems lurking in there?

Also, when I went to shut it off, it dieseled for about 20 seconds straight. Maybe a carb problem?

#2 ·
Sorry cant help on the headgasket Q, but check the timing on it, or you're right, it could be an air leak. There could also be a buildup of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber...but lets hope not. Hope this helps..?

#3 ·
There is a cadmium plated coolant tube that runs behind the engine . a bracket is welded to it , sometime the vibration cracks the weld and then the tube leaks . Otherwise pressure test the cooling system and that will find your leak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.