Pirate 4x4 banner

shotty sounding 22re

865 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  crazyj 
#1 ·
i'm not quite sure how to explain it, but here i go.

about a week ago, driving out to the lake, worked perfect. except for a little burning oil, leaking oil. i had just taken out the tranny to replace the rear main seal. everythign went back together perfect. went on a few trails near our lakehouse to test to make sure everything worked well. after the last trail, i started heading back to the city. nothing serious was done on the trial. haqlfway home, i let off the gas to slow down and i hear some type grinding noise from what i thought was the tranny. only did it when i let off the gas with it still in a gear. if i let it in nuetral and reved it, noise would only happen when i let off. got it home slowly, drove about 5 miles with it like that.

turned it off, and then back on in nuetral to listen to the engine. sounded like a diesel when i cranked it. popped the hood and reved to see if i could pinpoint the sound. sounded like the top-end. i let it cool back down and took the valve cover off today to look at the timing chain and tensioners. verything looked fine, no slack in the chain and everythign was intact. any other ideas. i think i just bought another engine to replace it, but i still want to get this engine running good as a spare.

sorry about it being so long, but had to list everything i could think of.

engine has 208k miles on it and supposidly had a rebuild. there is RTV around the front of the head.

See less See more
#2 ·
SAME THING HAPPENED TO MY BUDDIES TRUCK. HE PURCHASED IT FROM A 4X4 SHOP IN ORAVILLE.THE BLUE AND WHITE 83 THAT WAS FOR SALE A WHILE BACK. ANYWAYS ON THE WAY HOME ABOUT 10 MIN ON THE HIGHWAY STARTED SPUING OIL AND SOUNDED AWFUL. RAN GOOD BUT SOUNDED BAD.SOUNDED LIKE A ROD KNOCK OR MAYBE A LOOSES TIMING CHAIN RATTLING AROUND.SO THE TRUCKS FAWKED RIGHT,THE 4X4 SHOP OWNER COMES TO PICK IT UP AND SAYS HELL FIX IT AND TOW IT TO FREMONT IN A WEEK.COOL WE THOUGHT.TRUCK RAN GOOD FOR ANOTHER FEW WEEKS AND FAWKED UP AGAIN.MY BUDDY PULLED THE PAN AND FOUND SOME CRANK THRUST WASHER THINGYS.
TWO SETS:mad: ..I GUESS THE FIRST SET FAWKED UP SO DUDE JUST THREW ANOTHER SET IN:mad: FAWKER.

SORRY FOR SO LONG OF POST BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE THE SAME PROB.:D

#3 ·
i haven't run the engine since the day it happened, afraid to do more damage than already done. i'm going to pick up the other engine this coming weekend. when i get this one out, i'll start inspecting it more.

Thanks for the reply. i've never dealt with crank thrust washers. where are they and how hard are the to replace?

#5 ·
shouldn't be a problem. i'll just pull the pan this week and check it out. anythign else i should look for while i'm in there?

#6 ·
i had the same problem just a couple days ago. a loud knock/rattle under light throttle between 2500-3500 rpm. i toasted a rod bearing last year and was almost positive it made the same noise as when the rod bearing went. even my buddies and a mechaninc agreed it was likely a rod bearing or a piston pin. the only difference was that i couldnt make it knock while revving the engine in neutral. i pulled the bearings and they were fine, the pins were fine too. put new bearings in anyway and it still made the same noise.
it turned out to be over advanced ignition timming. only required about 1-2* less of advance to stop. the distributor was tight and didnt appear to have moved, so i have no idea why it started out of the blue. i didnt change fuel grades, and i did it for more than one tank before i fixed it. funny thing is that it wouldnt knock under heavy load like it usually does when you have overly advanced timming. the vacuume advance appears to be working correctly, but i have yet to check the springs for the mechanical advance in the distributor.

your case sounds like either a rod bearing or piston pin. pull the pan and see if any of the rods are loose or discoloured from heat and go from there, but you might want to check you timming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.