Pirate 4x4 banner

22R or 3.0 V6 for DD???

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  TOY 2 
#1 · (Edited)
just want some opinions on what you would rather have if you had both engines complete and in your yard.......I'm building a extra cab daily driver and want to go with the 3.0 but I hear bad things about them:confused: .......I have 2 parts trucks one is 84 with 22R and the other is an 88 4runner with 3.0 ........both have about same milage on them.........So what do you think?????

#3 ·
I've got the 3.0 and it may not be a power house but in the summer when it's 100 degrees outside and you want to run the air conditioning that little extra power is nice. Flame suit on. This topic seems to generate lots of opinion (like most topics don't:flipoff2: ). I've got the headers and it helped, makes it feel like stock power again, before all the extra weight and mods were made. The v6 will probably be tougher to swap in. As far as problems you'll also hear about as many high mileage ones that have been run hard as they can to ones the blew up with no mileage and were babied.

#5 ·
I have two 1/4 million mile 22r motors. When I pulled the heads I found no discernable carbon ridge and was able to wipe the carbon offa the top of the pistons with my thumb. The bearings were in near perfect condition.

My neighbor has a 55,000 mile 3.o and it is rod knocking.

#6 ·
firbolg said:

My neighbor has a 55,000 mile 3.o and it is rod knocking.
From what, lack of use. :flipoff2: I sold my 93 T100 with a 3.0 and it had 190k with no problems and compression was 128-134.

#7 ·
I'm sure she has not been the most responsible at maintenance but an engine's ability to take irresponsible abuse is part of the equation I believe, and the 22r can take it. I believe a post above ours also referred to the inconsistancy of the 3.0, I'm sure if well taken care of they last.

#8 ·
Daily driver or daily driver/weekend wheeler? If it were just a daily driver I'd go 22R. When built properly you will get 20 to 28MPG vs 14 to 20MPG on the V6 (unloaded). Also parts are easier to change and cheaper too. There are some really expensive parts on the V6 that are maintenence items that do not even exist on the 22R. Now if you are towing with the V6 its much better--the 22R will get you there and if the load is big you may be in low range but you will get there. If you wheel the truck then I'd make sure the engine is fuel injected--not necessary but it is a bit safer and smoother running on steep inclines. The V6 is tons better in the sand. You can use 2nd gear low range on steep long climbs and it will pull it hard which won't happen on a 22 R. Also if you don't have dual transfer cases the V6 runs smoothly below idle where the 22R will just run rough and stall. Hope this helps...

Jason :)

#9 ·
Percentage-wise I've heard of about as many high mileage stories about 6's as 4', given there tons more 4's out there. I've racked up a 1/4mil on about 3 22R's and 390K on the last one. I currently have V6 Runner and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's nice to pass somebody and not have to calculate the tailwind and slingshot timing. While it only has 79,000 on it now I put the last 50,000 on it in 1.5 years (PO didn't get out much). Give me some time and we'll find out just how far this puppy will travel. If it's anything all the many Toys I've owned, rust and father time will get it before it quits runnin'.

All in all if I were in your shoes I'd swap in whatever motor was in there originally and alleviate the computer and wiring concerns.

#10 ·
I was just there!

Hey I was just in Winemucca yesterday. In my Xtracab V6 Daily driver. Did 85-95 mph most of the way back to Reno, and had NO problems with not enough power. I love that motor. Will turn 4000rpm all day if you want w/o complaining. If the motor is already out, and hasn't had the recall done, put new head gaskets in it, and call it good. Its a fine motor that has quite a bit more power thana 22re, and is a blast to drive. I really like mine, as you can tell. No, its not a powerhouse but it is a good motor that does well, IMHO. I also get 21mpg on the freeway.

Now if you ever want to turn it into a 4 wheeling rig, the 22re has its advantages in the drivetrain department, as the transfer cases are already gear driven and you won't have to buy an adapter to put the 4cyl case on a v6 tranny.

#11 ·
What the plan is .....I have the 84 with the 22r and I will be using the frame and front axle.,.......I have an extra cab that's striped down to nothing right now.......I will get that cab painted and then I will have to decide what engine I want to use:confused: .........if I use the v6 I will swap the dash and all the wiring harness from the 88 runner to the newly painted cab...........BUT if I use the 22r I will use the dash and wiring harness from the rolled 84 to put in the new extra cab..............So either way I'm going to do a wiring and dash swap.............but if I use the 22r I won't have to worry about pulling moters tranny t-case and sh$t like that :confused:

The 22r don't leak a drop of anything

3.0 looks like it leaks oil :confused:

22r runs good

don't know if the 3.0 runs:confused:

3.0 has cruise and complete A/C

22r has A/c if I can piece it together:confused:

Still confused about what I should do:confused:

#13 ·
my brother has a 4runner(93) with the 3.0 in it. it doesnt make that much more power, but its all cramped into that engine compartment so seems just changing the spark plugs would be a PITA. i had(have) a 22re 4runner(87) and it was just a little less in the getup and go but its easy to work on in the wide open engine compartment...both are 200k+ miles....

#14 ·
SeaBass44 said:
or v8;)

That what I was thinking:D .......use the 22r for now ....then when I get tired of getting passed all the time just swap in a 5.7 vortec:eek: ..........Would it be easier to do that kind of swap with the 22r I will use........or does it make a difference :confused:

#15 ·
TOY 2 said:

That what I was thinking:D .......use the 22r for now ....then when I get tired of getting passed all the time just swap in a 5.7 vortec:eek: ..........Would it be easier to do that kind of swap with the 22r I will use........or does it make a difference :confused:
don't see why it would make any difference which you use now, as far as swapping later is concerned.

#16 ·
Heres my un-humble, obnoxious opinion. CARBS SUCK. Plain and simple. They suck in every way imaginable. Throttle response, gas mileage, angles etc etc.

I owned a 3.0 before I had my current 85 runner with 22re. Nice motor the 3.0 is, real reliable, real underpowered and real bad on gas. It is not that bad to work on once you get the hang of it, but it is a pain compared to the 20 series for sure. At work I regularly see them with 350K KM's + on them, so they can go the distance. The extra torque that the 3.0 offers is nice.

If you had a 22re I would definetly say go with it, but since it is an R, my vote is for the 3.0. Either that or sell the 3.0 and put the money into a fuel injection conversion for the R

#17 ·
Heres my un-humble, obnoxious opinion. CARBS SUCK. Plain and simple. They suck in every way imaginable. Throttle response, gas mileage, angles etc etc.

I owned a 3.0 before I had my current 85 runner with 22re. Nice motor the 3.0 is, real reliable, real underpowered and real bad on gas. It is not that bad to work on once you get the hang of it, but it is a pain compared to the 20 series for sure. At work I regularly see them with 350K KM's + on them, so they can go the distance. The extra torque that the 3.0 offers is nice.

If you had a 22re I would definetly say go with it, but since it is an R, my vote is for the 3.0. Either that or sell the 3.0 and put the money into a fuel injection conversion for the R.

#18 ·
Re: I was just there!

Toygeek said:
Hey I was just in Winemucca yesterday. In my Xtracab V6 Daily driver. Did 85-95 mph most of the way back to Reno, and had NO problems with not enough power. I love that motor. Will turn 4000rpm all day if you want w/o complaining. If the motor is already out, and hasn't had the recall done, put new head gaskets in it, and call it good. Its a fine motor that has quite a bit more power thana 22re, and is a blast to drive. I really like mine, as you can tell. No, its not a powerhouse but it is a good motor that does well, IMHO. I also get 21mpg on the freeway.

Now if you ever want to turn it into a 4 wheeling rig, the 22re has its advantages in the drivetrain department, as the transfer cases are already gear driven and you won't have to buy an adapter to put the 4cyl case on a v6 tranny.

Did you see a red 4 runner on a dolly going the other way?????If so that was me hauling that thing back from reno:D .....If you need any parts look in the thrifty nickle theres a guy in sun valley area trying to get rid of 15 years of toy junk:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.