Pirate 4x4 banner

taco sas question

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Wilson 
#1 ·
What is everyone doin about steering shaft hook up. I understand the box placement but was hopeing that someone had some pix of steering shaft relocation thanks Scott

#2 · (Edited)
Do a serch on all pro tacoma swap.Some of the TTORA guys posted pics of there box location,some of wich show the steering shaft.If that dosent help,let me know i can snap some pics when i get home.

The pics are at the end of the thred,after every one with a SAS tacoma bags on C.G.:flipoff2:

#3 ·
Most people are getting the Trailmaster 6" extension and shortening it to fit. One person had a custom shaft made from borgenson. You have to change the shaft from a double joint to a single joint shaft. I heard this is a PITA to do so you might want to seek a shaft elsewheres.

www.toy4x4.net/sas

This site should give you the basics/pictures of what you need to do

#4 ·
DIRTBAG7-11 said:
What is everyone doin about steering shaft hook up. I understand the box placement but was hopeing that someone had some pix of steering shaft relocation thanks Scott
Heres what I did on mine. After you drop the rack, the steering shaft will still be pointing straight down. Remove all the bolts inside the cab on the fire wall that holds the plate that the shaft goes trough. Un-bolt the steering shaft from the steering column itself. What you will end up with is a type of cv joint allowing it to make the drop straight down. It is a two piece unit in stock form. It will have two sets of universal joints, but there are two balls that stop each from going flat. I took the shaft apart and pressed one of the uv joints out and cut the balls off to make a single joint. You will need to grind a little knick out of the flange on one of the yokes to get the end cap of the uv joint to come out. It is held in and will not come out without this. Put the coupler that hooks to the steering column on the uv joint at the top. I then used my Trailmaster steering extension and slid it over the stock Taco splines. The TM extensions bolts right up to an 85ish Toyota rag joint which will have the same hole size and spline count for the IFS steering box. I've got some pics and I can take more if you need them. Let me know if I can help more..

Later
Will
FL TTORA

#5 ·
DIRTBAG7-11 said:
Also I forgot to add this to my post. My steering box is straight up and down, no angle at all. I didn't have to cut my steering shaft or extension at all. There was enough spline to make everything fit.I don't have a body lift on my truck but if I do install one I may have to rotate the box a bit to reduce the angle on the shaft.

Later
Will
FL TTORA

#8 ·
DIRTBAG7-11 said:
Thanks all for the imfo it gets me goin in the right direction . I'm gana buy an 02 4 door this week and start the sas.
CHeck out www.angelfire.com/extreme2/supersized/
THat is a buddy of mines truck who is in our Florida TTORA club. Shawn built that truck with less than 3000 miles on it. Also for more info check out www.ttora.com, more than enough info on anything Tacoma related.

Later
Will
FL TTORA

#9 ·
Everone over at TTORA does it the hard way:rolleyes::D All you need to do is get a complete steering shaft from an '86-'95 truck and it will bolt right up to the tacoma steering column. Done!:p
I did have to shorten the new steering shaft a couple inches. :)

#10 ·
TANKOMA said:
Everone over at TTORA does it the hard way:rolleyes::D All you need to do is get a complete steering shaft from an '86-'95 truck and it will bolt right up to the tacoma steering column. Done!:p
I did have to shorten the new steering shaft a couple inches. :)
wow cool tip, toys do seem to have alot of interchangeability not sure if thats a word. Can hardly wait to take the plasma to a brand new truck:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.