Pirate 4x4 banner

t case rear output bearing

709 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joe_out_west 
#1 ·
my rear t/case output on my 85 is loose, can this bearing be changed in the vehicle, i looked in the FSM and wasn't able to tell. if your remove the cover on the back is the bearing accessable? thanks

#4 ·
Use a new nut for the companion flange, and there are two seals on the t case output shaft an inner seal and an outer seal, make sure that you change both of them and pre-lube them with grease so that you wont burn them up. Other than that you can do it with simple hand tools and a torque wremch... I wanna say that the torque on the nut is @ 95 ft lbs but dont hold me to that.

good luck,

-j-rOd

#5 ·
It is actually easier to do in the vehicle than out. The companion flange nut can be a real bastard to remove. Once you remove the tailshaft housing, the bearing will just slip off the shaft after the speedo drive gear and oil pump (don't lose the little keyball). Replace bothe seals and the companion flange nut (as stated previously) and torque the nut to 90 ft-lbs.

#6 ·
You'll need a 30mm socket to pull the nut off of the driveshaft flange on the rear output shaft. If you have air tools and an impact gun, it's nothing to get it off. I don't think it woulda been much fun if you just had a breaker bar. You'd have to leave the drivetrain in-gear in the vehicle so the output won't rotate, use a punch to straighten the staked portion of the nut out, and break it loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.