Pirate 4x4 banner

Dual Case install

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  ifsbgone 
#1 ·
(after donning my nomex flameproof "its been asked before" suit):
What will my transfer case and dual reduction gearboxes weigh? Am I gonna be able to benchpress this thing out from under the truck and then back in, or do I need to rig up a transmission jack?

Is this a two sixpacker (by myself) or a full case (w/ help) job?

Searching is getting me nowhere - I'm getting either everything or nothing.

#3 ·
use a ratchet strap to support the tranny( go around the frame rails and hook the ends to each other) and raise the t-cases with a floor jack. That way after the t-cases are bolted on the strap will hold everything until you can get the cross member bolted in. It's easier with 2 people, but I guess you could do it by yourself.

#8 ·
Get a couple of the Pull straps(kinda like ratchet straps) use 2 of them on your tcases and a jack on your tranny to help line things up and it won't be that hard. Have done 2 of them by myself. It makes it a whole lot easier if you have the X-Member bolted on but just about 2-3 threads, to where it moves around a little bit and have your Tcase mount bolted on to your tcase to where your center Pin will slide into the x-member. Lift your tranny a little bit higher than it was when you removed your tcase. That will give you a little xtra room to move things around.

#9 ·
Jut got done putting a 4.7 gearset into my single case. Completely by myself. So listen up :D

I used a floor jack with a 6" piece of 2x4 on top of it for a little extra height. Slid it under the transmission and jacked ut up just enough to hold everything in place. I then pulled the crossmember and let the drivetrain down onto a jackstand. You need to do this because you may need the floor jack to put the crossmember back in later on...

Then I used the 30mm socket on my impact gun to pull the flange off of the rear output, undid the six bolts, and slid the t-case back and out of the tranny.

Did all my work with the gears on the bench, and got ready to put it back in. Using a little heaving, grunting, and getting my foot under it to help push wiht my leg and it went right in. Don't think it woulda been a problem with the second case. The problem isn't wieght, it's that you laying NEXT TO what you're trying to pick up. :(

#10 ·
doing it by your self is a bitch. I did it twice, and once i tried to use a jack, it didnt work very well. the way i did it was to leave the xmember in, keep the trany suported, bench that beast up onto the xmember, then just slide it into place.
Shane.

#11 ·
I just installed my dual case by my self:flipoff2:

I have a V6 adapter on the front of mine and that requires some grinding of the trans and a bolt. Reason for mentioning... I had to install and remove 3 or 4 time because I was afraid to grind too much. Did the installs and removeals alone. If you need to do it and your not 140lbs, you can. It is tricky I will admit, one slip and you'll have a permanent imprint on your face but you CAN do it.

Good Luck!

#12 ·
If you need to do it and your not 140lbs, you can. It is tricky I will admit, one slip and you'll have a permanent imprint on your face but you CAN do it.

Good Luck!
I'm about a buck and half, so I rented the aforementioned tranny jack. That let's even us scrawny old guys do them ourselves.

The funniest part was walking the tranny jack the mile back to RentX when I couldn't borrow a vehicle. :D

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.