Pirate 4x4 banner

volvo portal axle

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Wilson 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about these beef axles and what makes them so special??? They sure look tough but I know nothing about these bad boyz. Looking to learn a little and why someone would want one over a 60/14 bolt. Thanx :confused:

#4 ·
toydawg85 said:
Anyone know anything about these beef axles and what makes them so special???
Looking to learn a little and why someone would want one over a 60/14 bolt.
Umm... how about 6 INCHES of extra celarance under the diff? Portal axles on 36s have as much clearance as a 60/rockwell axle on 44s. :idea:

Quick, run over to the gen4x4 section and start reading the thread that's already up and running, which you would have found using the search. I posted a link in there to a thread on volvo axles that went for six pages.

#6 ·
Re: Re: volvo portal axle

TNToy said:

Umm... how about 6 INCHES of extra celarance under the diff? Portal axles on 36s have as much clearance as a 60/rockwell axle on 44s. :idea:

Quick, run over to the gen4x4 section and start reading the thread that's already up and running, which you would have found using the search. I posted a link in there to a thread on volvo axles that went for six pages.
Are there any purely driving advantages of having d60 and 44" instead of portals and 36"?

#8 ·
I looked into these same axles when contemplating my build up of a '71 EB. The axles are bithcin'. The reason these are better than the uni-portal rest in the pinion design. The pinion on the uni has to be modified (see-approx $1000.00) with adaptors to bolt to a standard driveshaft. They better rockwells being light weight compared to those hogs, which are almost 200lbs heavier than a dana 60.

The volvo 303's are designed just like the toy pinion.......just bolt up the driveshaft flange to it.

Yes, parts can be had at volvo dealerships, however finding an american with knowledge that they exist, behind the counter, can be a task. There is a gentleman who own a shop in the northeast that specializes in these things. If you do a search on volvo c303's you can find his shop. He sells them as well, but gets approx $3500-4500 per axle if memory serves me correct. He also competes in some competitions and from what I gathered, the axles are not a problem.

There is yet another site, extremaxles.com that sells them for $6K per set with all rebuilt components.

With that said, if you get in on the buy that is linked above, you are getting a steal on them as they are EASILY modified for toys, or for any other vehicles for that matter, and come out cheaper, with better clearance than 60's, and the gearing is great.

In my worthless opinion, these are the best thing since sliced bread. On strength: They are used on (minimum) 1 ton service vehicles for the military, mostly the swiss, however they are exported to various location in the world. The set I found was in far east for $3000.00 with shipping. That part of the world scares me in terms of money transactions and would trust the swiss connection alot more.

If you can afford them, get 'em. They are well suited for the rocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.