Pirate 4x4 banner

Proper Ground Connection...

932 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bad booger 
#1 ·
Is the ground only supposed to be hooked to the body? On almost every vehicle I've owned the ground ran to the body and then to the frame or engine. I had a problem with the starter clicking and found that the bolt and hole for the ground wire on the body were stripped and had come loose. I went ahead and connected it to the next closest bolt in the body, but was thinking of making a second ground also. Wouldn't 2 grounds give you better starting power and allow the battery to charge better? Has anyone done this, and is there an easy place on the engine or frame to ground it to(like a threaded hole;) )?

Thanks,

Justin

BTW - I did search 1st, but the results didn't answer my question(s).:flipoff2:

#3 ·
As far as the starter goes you have the heavy cable from bat + straight to the starter. You just need to make sure you have a heavy ground path from starter back to bat -. The starter is well grounded to the frame so you need a good cable from engine block to bat -, or from engine block to body to bat -.

Jay

#4 ·
I ran 3 4 gauge cables off my negative terminal to threaded holes on the body, frame and engine. It made a big difference. My lights were brighter and it helped a lot of little electricall headaches. It costjust over $10 to do and was money well spent.
Travis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.