Pirate 4x4 banner

Hydro asssist clamp-on ram mount

4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  quadrunner 
#1 ·
A number of people have asked me for close-up pics of my hydro assist mount.....here ya go.
Jay

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Are you taking orders? I need one for 1 1/18'' tie rod.:D
Very nice as always.

#7 ·
I need one of those too. When will it be shipped out? No Joke :flipoff2:

#12 ·
Thanks guys.

slotoy said:
what's there to hold it on the tierod other than 2 bolts?? is it just a sleeve clamped w/ 2 bolts??
Yes, just the tension of the clamped mount.

For steel tie rods you can simply weld two 1/4" plates to the rod. Much easier.

I used a ram from Surplus Center (800-488-3407).
It is a 1.5" x 6" (#9-4410-6) and was $79.

#13 ·
ROKTOY said:
Thanks guys.

Yes, just the tension of the clamped mount.

yea i would think the tension of the clamped mount is no where near the force of the ram.. seems to me it could slip if u wedge your tires and crank on the ram.. i mean rams can break knuckles when they aren't set right.. think how easy it could slide that clamp if the tires are wedged good.. let us know how it works out..

#14 ·
ROKTOY said:
Thanks guys.

jay i run a simialer setup as your clamp. i disagree that just welding tabs on a steel tie rod is easier. first of all gettin the mount in the proper position is way more simple with the clamp because you can cycle the steering and move the clamp as needed. second, carryin a spare tie rod is easier with out haveing to build a second mount and also the mount is not stickin out. ( i carry mine in a PVC tube with screw on ends )

#16 ·
camo said:

jay i run a simialer setup as your clamp. i disagree that just welding tabs on a steel tie rod is easier. first of all gettin the mount in the proper position is way more simple with the clamp because you can cycle the steering and move the clamp as needed. second, carryin a spare tie rod is easier with out haveing to build a second mount and also the mount is not stickin out. ( i carry mine in a PVC tube with screw on ends )
You make good points Camo. I was just thinking getting the tabs on would be eaiser. Given the setup and other points you mention, the clamp does seem a better way to go regardless of tie rod material.

Jay

#17 · (Edited)

This is my design. Custom made with common hardware parts.

#20 · (Edited)
Heck I don't know how I made it this far.
Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Do I have any more loose bolts?

#21 ·
quadrunner said:
Heck I don't know how I made it this far.
Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Do I have any more loose bolts?
Justin, you damn Newbie, that was a good one.. :p

I think I have to give you shit for the signature line you use though.. Doesn't count if the stuff is on the garage floor!

-Wayne

#22 ·
Shhh.
Dont tell.
Wish full thinking.
It will be done next weekend, it will be done next weekend, it will be done next weekend.
Maby if the rain let up a little I would have gotten some real work done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.